Saturday, September 26, 2015

Estella Sparkles: Too Faced Born This Way Foundation

I've been on the hunt for a good cool-weather foundation. I love Revlon Colorstay for its lasting power, but I feel like the finish is a little dry and craggy for me during the colder months.

Too Faced, the maker of the much-loved Chocolate Bar eyeshadow palettes, recently released their Born This Way foundation, which is an oil-free formula, has light to medium coverage, and is very hydrating.

Voila! It sounded like a great option for my dry skin, so I picked up a sample from Sephora and got to try this bad boy out for about a week thanks to the generous sample size.

Pros:
  • Better coverage than I expected after some iffy reviews. I would classify this as medium coverage on my face. 
  • Easily covered a couple of mild blemishes and redness.
  • Definitely feels hydrating and has a nice dewy finish.
  • Wore all work day with no face primer.
  • Infused with some good ingredients like hyaluronic acid which are supposed to help skin's elasticity and texture over time. 
Cons:

  • Even though my skin is fairly dry all year, this creased and slid around my face until I powdered it down at lunch time. On the upside, it was fine after powder. This is a normal step for most people, but I'm not used to it!
  • No SPF!
Packaging: Good sturdy glass bottle. Love that this has a pump; it's much less messy and easy to control the amount of product than an open-top bottle. 

Shade range: I'm not the lightest shade! I'm actually the sixth shade in, and that says something about the options. Most lines of makeup offer few selections, but there are currently 18 shades of this one available with some beautiful deep tones for dark skin. 

Price: At $36 for 1 oz this one falls right in line with other mid-range foundations from the likes of Benefit and Urban Decay, so I don't have any concerns there.

Would I purchase it? While it's definitely a good option, I haven't decided to purchase. I will reevaluate as the weather gets colder, but right now there's another foundation in the running for my attentions, the Benefit Cosmetics, Hello Flawless. Review on that one to come!


8 comments:

  1. I lurk around Reddit's most popular makeup sub (r/makeupaddiction) and have seen many rave reviews for this product! I'm still very much a bare-face, bold-lip kind of gal, but I've got a lot of redness that I'm thinking about trying to cover up. With combination/sensitive skin, it's such a pain! :( Glad this one worked for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I've never looked on Reddit for makeup! That might be the next rabbit hole I fall down. Combo, sensitive skin is a pain. Mine used to be far more combo, but as I've gotten older, now it's sensitive and dry. Another pain in the ass. It's so easy to look like the crypt keeper. My rec for sensitive skin is to start with something by Tarte. Their products have a lot of good, more natural ingredients.

      Delete
  2. I have a sample of this and haven't tried it yet. Right now I'm working through a sample of a Tarte BB cream and it is great. I'm usually a Clinique foundation girl but I feel like I've been stuck in a rut and am looking for new options. Glad to hear you give this one a thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to try the Tarte BB. I'm on the hunt for something new since my favorite Pond's product got discontinued. Blargh. I love Tarte for so many other products, I bet I'd love their BB, too. That'll be my next sample. lol I was a Clinique girl for ages, but after I while I just felt like I wasn't getting any coverage or staying power.

      Delete
  3. I need a cold weather foundation. I recently tried my beloved Mary Kay foundation again, but I started breaking out again from it. I wish BB creams were a medium coverage. I need that in winter to help cover some unevenness and redness in certain areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That's the worst...something you like that breaks you out. The closest I've seen to a medium coverage BB is the It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+. If you can get hold of a sample, definitely do. It's not my favorite, but it does do well at color correcting, covering, and it's got wicked SPF.

      Delete
  4. I've been using Hello Flawless for a year and love it. If it helps, I'll tell you that it's the first liquid foundation I've worn since high school. It's that light. I'm nearly out and thought about sampling this one (and may still).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I favor the Hello Flawless based on the sample I have. Like you said, it's so light! I also love the finish, and it is so lovely and brightening. I have a darker shade to test out and then I'll make my decision, but I do like the overall effect of Hello Flawless better than this, plus it has the SPF. It seems to get fairly "meh" reviews, but it's so nice for my dry skin.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik