Monday, September 21, 2015

It's Monday! A Dog Days of Summer Readathon Wrap

"Recovering" might be overstating it. The Dog Days of Summer Readathon doesn't carry the same sort of stress associated with Dewey's. Mostly it gave me an excuse to put all the house cleaning off until Sunday morning and just chill. I got a lot of reading done!


I got caught up on most of my comics on Friday night. Somehow my Jem and the Holograms subscription is still unread (weirdo, me), but I got all of these babies (and more) under my belt. Bitch Planet continues to be a subversive, badass winner. Gotham Academy just keeps getting better, and these issues were delightfully RIP-worthy. Finally, Lumberjanes is made of win. 


I had every intention of finishing off Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews, but I'm just not in the mood for it. I've been reading it for several weeks, and I'm only halfway through. That's a sure sign that it's just not for me...right now. 

I picked up A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett--the second book in the Tiffany Aching cycle from the larger Discworld series--and it hit just the right note. I read, loved, and reviewed The Wee Free Men back in 2013 (how could it have been that long ago?). I raced through A Hate Full of Sky and found everything I was looking for: humor, magic, a real emotional connection with the characters. In fact, I loved it so much, I immediately downloaded the third book, Wintersmith, and read the first quarter or so. It was reallyyyy hard for me to put it down before bed last night. 

How's your reading going? Are you picking up seasonal choices or whatever strikes your fancy?





9 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a great readathon! I'm hoping to save up some comics reading for October. :)

    I have to confess that I have never read Terry Pratchett. I know this is something I need to rectify! Right now, I'm working through my RIP reads and the usual holds from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading for my book club meeting and I'm almost done. It should be a fun meeting since we're going to a local brewery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ENJOY your books.

    Love the cover on Wintersmith.

    I am not a seasonal reader.

    Have a great week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at you, being a regular reading machine!

    Thanks again for hosting the readathon - picking up physical books has been nearly impossible lately, but Dog Days helped me knock our a bunch of SORCERER TO THE CROWN! This week I hope to continue (fingers crossed!) and keep plugging away at the gargantuan audio book that is IT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, I Shall Wear Midnight is totally the consequences of what happened in Wintersmith. It's super dark but so, so funny and good. I'm about half-way through the audio. Otherwise, my reading has been so hit or miss lately. I need more amazing reads!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has been AGES since I last read Terry Pratchett. I adored his books when I was in school. Maybe it is time to pick it up again!

    I wish I could have joined in on the readathon but we were traveling over the weekend and that meant not very much reading was done....!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been a seasonal choice kind of person, especially in winter. I definitely don't want to read about snow when I'm in the middle of it...ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! I'm so glad you were able to enjoy yourself this past weekend. Now on to Dewey prep, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think my comment was lost. Let me try again. I never got around to reading for this event. My work life is spilling over into my personal life and because of it I never got around to reading, at all! Major suckage!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik