Tuesday, October 06, 2015

New Tools; Not Talking About Stupid People

There's been a feeling in my bones for a long time that things are changing so wildly in the online world that it might be good to explore alternative forms of communication. Back in 2014 I wrote this post about relevance in blogging, and I'm not saying now that blogging or bloggers are irrelevant, but I'm noticing a mass blogging fatique. I've been close with a fairly large group of awesome bloggers for a long while now, but I'm slowing seeing them stop reading, stop blogging, or those enjoyments and hobbies being overtaken by "real life."

Hell, I'm one of them!

After 10 years of blogging, I've seen a lot of people come and go, but seeing this happen in large groups is fairly disconcerting, and my own restlessness is driving me to pay attention to alternative forms of self expression that can compliment blogging, since I'm certainly not willing to let it go. But maybe I will one day. I'm not ignorant to the fact that it could be me too.

If you'd asked me a few years ago, I would've had no clue that two of my favorite and most-consumed social platforms these days would be Instagram and YouTube. I know, I have a habit of NOT listening to social expert projections.

So lately I've perked up here and there when I see a new tool that looks interesting to me, and I'm curious what you blogging readers think of them or if you've considered them!


I guess I think of TinyLetter as an exceedingly simple email newsletter. I really got to thinking about this platform when Amanda from Book Riot sent out this tiny letter called "Take the Second Amendment and Shove It Up Your Ass." It was just such a perfect delivery platform. 


Snapchat! The platform that seems to mystify my generation the most. I can't tell you how many people I know, and I've said it myself, that don't get this platform and don't really want to. I was telling my husband the other night that I've reached that age when I can figure out pretty much any technology, but I just do not fucking wanna. That said, I still figured out Snapchat, and while I enjoy watching people's snaps, the thing I don't like is the fleeting nature of it. Snaps expire after 24 hours. 

These are at the tippy top of my brain right now. I'd love to hear about other social or general communications platforms you're loving or hating. What's new with you? 




20 comments:

  1. I do not understand Snapchat at all. I'll stick with Instagram. As for Tiny Letter, I don't know if I have anything relevant to say to make one myself. And I subscribe to none.

    I am a cranky old lady. But have you heard about Periscope? I'm not sure how useful that one is either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiny Letter seems like a thing people are using once they quit blogging. That and Tumblr! Which I don't get in generally. I haven't tried Periscope yet. I might check it out just to see what the hoo-hah is.

      Delete
  2. "I do not understand Snapchat at all. I'll stick with Instagram. As for Tiny Letter, I don't know if I have anything relevant to say to make one myself. And I subscribe to none."

    EXACTLY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with everyone else in being baffled by Snapchat. I understand how it works, I just don't think it fills a need for me. Much the same with Tiny Letter. I appreciate what others are doing with it, but I think I have other spaces for any writing I would do there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't use it for myself, I just like to watch my friends and be nosy about their everyday lives. Like so many other social platforms! lol

      Delete
  4. I use Snapchat. Hmmm...let me clarify. I send pics and short videos of my kids to my cousins Hannah and Tara who, in turn, send the same of their kids to me. Not really an in-depth use. And I'm so out of it I barely use anything any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I "spy" on beauty YouTubers on SnapChat.

      Delete
  5. I refuse Snapchat! Love Twitter and IG the most. Don't really Facebook. I get two tiny letters and while they're interesting, I'm not totally sure I'm learning anything different from I know about those two women on Twitter. I'm not so much a creative writer,d I'm a fairly private person, and I lead a pretty ordinary life. Plus I'm old enough to have worked out most of my issues -- so I don't really know what I'd write about (not to mention who would bother to subscribe).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TinyLetter seems like a nice platform if you don't have any other permanent platform (blog, Tumblr). Yay IG!

      Delete
  6. I'm totally confused by Snapchat and just don't get its purpose unless you;'re doing something "bad" where you don't want the evidence laying around...then its perfect! I subscribe to Amanda's Tinyletter and like it, but it's the only Tinyletter I subscribe too. Can you imagine subscribing to a bunch of them? I think my email would explode and I'd never read any of them!
    As for other platforms...I'm new to Instagram and like it ok, but it doesn't fulfill the "talk about books" urge in me. It's more of a "look at this pretty book cover next to a cup of coffee on a distress wooden table" kind of thing.
    I've been thinking about Pinterest...obviously it's not new, but it's easy to let your eyes fly over lots of book covers until something catches your eye...and to share a one sentence blurb about a particular book with a link to more.
    What about YouTube (vlogging) and Periscope? Video isn't my thing really, but I know both those are growing more popular...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True re: bad. I'm not sure why the beauty community has adopted it so hardcore but they sure have. I subscribe to a couple of Tiny Letters but I'm pretty sure they're getting caught up in my SPAM filter. Need to check on that. I know a lot of people use Pinterest well and strategically to complement blogging, but I've yet to work up the energy. Love YouTube! Haven't tried Periscope...yet.

      Delete
  7. My daughters (ages 19 & 20) use Snapchat. I am in the same boat as you and most of the previous commenters, I can figure it out but I don't wanna. I love Twitter. I scroll through my IG once every day or two. I left FB years ago because there's always *drama* As for blogging, I had to take a big break for almost a month due to "real life." Part of me missed it but part of me was relieved. I think have never even heard of Tiny Letters and I only vaguely know what Periscope is. I'm sure that someday blogs will be some ancient joke but maybe we'll be archived and looked at longingly like we look at handwritten letters today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twitter is a staple. Instagram has become one for me which is a surprise even to myself. Amen re: Facebook drama. I like that idea of looking back on blogs. Mine has become so much a journal of my life, I know I will look back on mine that way. :)

      Delete
  8. I hear you on the fatigue. It feels at times like 'why bother'? The only people who read our blogs is other bloggers which feels sad. Plus, lately, either I'm choosing badly or the books are kind of sucky which leaves me either not reviewing or writing bitchy reviews, which can be fun but is not the reason I review.

    As for other communication tools, I love Slack for staying in touch with my core group of friends. I get that some people (and especially the younger generation) want to "see" themselves and their friends but I don't like cameras or looking at myself while I'm talking so snapchat is a no go. For visual stimulation I like Instagram and still check out Tumblr every once awhile for the beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we have more readers outside of other bloggers than we think. That's a distinctive audience that I take for granted/overlook. I love Slack, too! We use it for the Book Riot backchannel, and it's really accommodating. I can see using it for other purposes.

      Delete
  9. Hi! I still LOVE reading blogs and blogging and hope to remain steadfastly committed to it until the last blogger takes his/her last breath...it's incredibly easy to be distracted by other outlets and apps, definitely. I've found that I have very specific uses for my different outlets...instagram just makes me plain happy - facebook is great for staying in touch with family - and I get my news from twitter. I"m not involved in much else and doubt I have the capacity to be...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I seem to have found my groove in various channels and I try not to adopt new ones just for the sake of doing it. I need to get back to YouTube more often!

      Delete
  10. It put a huge smile on my face when you said "I'm at the age when I can figure out any technology, I just don't wanna". SO MUCH THIS. I'm right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, I'm also to the point where I don't want to figure out some technologies. For the most part, visual technologies are still just not doing it for me. I use facebook, instagram, and tumblr all very minimally and I'm not interested in snapchat at all.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik