Monday, November 30, 2015

#PotterBinge: Non-Spoiler Reactions to Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets is the only Harry Potter book I've never re-read. Well, until now. Why did I not re-read it until now? I dunno. For some reason it hasn't stood out in my mind quite the way the other books have, but upon re-read there is plenty to appreciate.


  • Hagrid back story. His love of animals is so endearing, though often wreaking havoc with his life and career. 
  • Lucius Malfoy is just the biggest ass around. 
  • Dobby. He's always super endearing, but this lays the ground work for SO MUCH that is to come, and re-reading it, that really hit home. 
  • Furthermore, my dog looks like Dobby, but she's not a very good house elf. Never cleans a thing.
  • The part of I was most looking forward to re-reading in this book was Nearly Headless Nick's Death Day Party. A gross delight. 
  • I'd forgotten Ginny Weasley's part in this book. Such a central character and so much foreshadowing. 
  • Harry, you're a bit of a dolt sometimes. PAY ATTENTION AND TELL THE TRUTH, MAN.
  • Car-as-hero. Love that anthropomorphism, though that doesn't seem the right term. It's the best I've got. 
  • I love the cover on the edition I have because it highlights The Burrow. I would give all my galleons to explore that place. I'd even help throw the gnomes out of the yard. 
  • Gilderoy Lockhart annoys me more than almost any character in literature.
  • Any time I read about Molly Weasley in these early books, the more excited I am that she gets to kick some ass in the later volumes. 
  • Also, Arthur Weasley is not to be fucked with. 
  • The little details always thrill and delight me. The description of Mandrakes and their maturation process is AMAZING.

It's not too late to join the #Potterbinge! It's a free-range reading of all the HP books from November 1, 2015 to January 31 of 2016. There's still plenty of time! 






13 comments:

  1. I love Ginny in this book. All my friends think she wasn't a good match for Harry. But I thought she was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think she's fantastic, too!

      Delete
  2. I adored Hagrid! Also, the Weasleys are all awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! He's the best. I'm on to Prisoner of Azkaban and he's mucking up Care of Magical Creatures, but he's so endearing.

      Delete
  3. I'd de-gnome a garden with you any day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'd clean 'em out right quick!

      Delete
  4. This is one of my 2 favorite Potter novels. It's a book about a book! Actually, now that I think about it, my other favorite Potter book is also about a book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to be a Weasley and not just for the red hair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved that we read Harry Potter in the fall /winter for my IRL book club last year. Such a perfect time to read it. I love Chamber of Secrets I think it sets the stage well for the rest of the series. The kids are so full of hope and mesmerized by the magic they see and learn, it's captivating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved that we read Harry Potter in the fall /winter for my IRL book club last year. Such a perfect time to read it. I love Chamber of Secrets I think it sets the stage well for the rest of the series. The kids are so full of hope and mesmerized by the magic they see and learn, it's captivating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love The Chamber of Secrets and can't believe you've never re-read it! This one will always stand out for me, for all the reasons you mention, but also it was the first one I started reading. I started reading it at work and fell in love with it and realized I had to start at the beginning. You're right - there's SO MUCH foundation work in the early books. The deeper you fall into the HP world, the more you realize how genius these books actually are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the book I reread least often of the seven, partly because my copy's spine is broken (sob, but I bought it with my OWN MONEY when I was a wee lass, and I don't want to replace it!), and partly because it's my least favorite. But there's still a ton of good stuff in it. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew! I was beginning to think I was the only one who didn't really get the love for book 2.
      This was only my second reading of it, but it annoyed me as much as the first time round in 2002.
      Okay, so annoyed is a little too strong a word, but there's something about this book that doesn't ring true for me. It feels a bit forced somehow. Enjoyable enough, but not a gush-worthy wow like I feel the other books.

      It's great reading other people's thoughts though - I love how we all pick up on different things or react in various ways.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik