Tuesday, December 22, 2015

#AMonthofFaves: Books on My Winter TBR

Today for #AMonthofFaves we're looking at the books on our winter TBRs. There's an 80/20 chance I will NEVER follow this list, but it's still fun to look at my stacks and try to hone in on what's calling to me.

See what's calling to Tamara and Tanya Patrice!

These are the things I'm eyeballing for winter reading, and since I'm doing #ReadMyOwnDamnBooks, I own all of these with the exception of When Women Were Birds, which I'll probably treat myself to if I get through these (or some other) 10-11 books.

Andi's Winter TBR




Drown by Junot Diaz is a book I've been eager to read ever since I picked up and devoured This Is How You Lose Her back in April. I'm a sucker for connected stories, so I'm sure I'll love this one.

The Royal We by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan sounds like such a fun book, and with all the tragedy I usually read, I think this will be a nice one to have on tap.

The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez is another book I've been eyeballing, and this one really came to my attention in reviews from trusted bloggers.



The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell will be my first David Mitchell. I've had Cloud Atlas on my TBR since I saw the trailer for the long-ago-released movie, but since it's been this long, I guess I'm probably not going to finish that one anytime soon. I think I need to get over being slightly afraid of his work first.

A Shelter of Others by Charles Dodd White. Charles and I went to grad school together, and he's a talented guy. I would affectionately call this one grit lit. I've read  few pages, and I can't wait to continue.

Pretty Monsters: Stories by Kelly Link looks delightfully weird. This one came my way in a Halloween swap, and I've wanted it foreverrrr.



Paper Girls #1 by Bryan K. Vaughan, Cliff Chiang, and Matt Wilson, which I might've read this weekend. AHEM! Oops. It was really good, and I will most definitely continue.

A Rogue By Any Other Name by Sarah MacLean is a Book Riot favorite. I've never read MacLean's work, but I've heard her on the Get Booked podcast, and she, and her heroines, sound pretty kickass.

Felicity by Mary Oliver is another book I might've read last weekend. On a lark! I swear! I had already started drafting this post, so I decided to leave this one and Paper Girls in. Very good stuff. I will review this poetry collection.


Men We Reaped by Jesmyn Ward has been on my wishlist for a long time, and when I saw it on sale for Kindle, I snapped it right up. Because I will #ReadMyOwnDamnBooks in 2016, and I needed this to go on and jump on my stacks.

Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff is one of the books I snapped up with my three-month Book of the Month guest membership. Everyone seems to love this book, and I've had good luck with Groff before, so I'm very much looking forward to it.


Extras:

When Women Were Birds by Terry Tempest Williams is another book I've heard a good deal about from Rebecca of Book Riot. It sounds right up my alley. I hope it gives me all the feels.
Let's see what you're looking forward to reading this winter!

31 comments:

  1. Great list - you own some good books! I've also had Book of Unknown Americans on my TBR for awhile and need to get to it...and I really want to read Ward's Salvage the Bones. The Royal We was so fun and I haven't read any David Mitchell either. He's on my list of authors I need to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salvage the Bones is on my stack, too, but I am admittedly terrified of the subject matter. I just know it's gonna hurt to read.

      Delete
  2. That Pretty Monsters cover is beautiful and ominous as hell! I can't wait to hear about that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to report back! Heather loved it, so I know I most likely will too!

      Delete
  3. Several of those are on my reading list too. The Royal We should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I've been in the mood for lighter books, so it looks perfect.

      Delete
  4. The only one I know of and have read are Men We Reaped.

    ENJOY all of your winter books.

    Merry Christmas!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver’s Reviews
    My A Month of Faves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you liked it!

      Delete
    2. It was ok. Not really into memoirs.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It looks great, doesn't it??? I can't wait to get my paws on it.

      Delete
  6. So many good ones! I really want to read Paper Girls and The Book of Unknown Americans now. More for my own winter tbr :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers to adding to our TBRs! Ha!

      Delete
  7. Such a great list, Andi! I have Fates and Furies and Felicity waiting for me to read soon too. When Women Were Birds is going to be my first read of 2016, I think. It seems a good way to start the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Felicity was so good. I'm always a little hesitant going into poetry collections, but it was lovely and felt approachable. Let me know how you like When Women Were Birds!

      Delete
  8. Surprisingly, I've read A Rogue By Any Other Name by Sarah MacLean - you will read it in a day. It's one of those romance books where you know the formula, but it's so good it just captures you. So do yourself a favor, block out some time, get cozy and just read ... best way to enjoy the book :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I love those kinds of romances, actually. As you said, perfect for snuggling down and knocking out in one go. :)

      Delete
  9. I haven't heard of Paper Girls before, but that cover really caught my attention. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good. I tend to love anything Bryan K. Vaughan does, and this is no exception. There are two other issues out that I neeeed.

      Delete
  10. AHH I hope you LOVE The Bone Clocks! And I have Fates and Furies on my list for this winter, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I do, too! I really have no idea what to expect from The Bone Clocks! Keep me posted when you decide to read Fates and Furies.

      Delete
  11. "I think I need to get over being slightly afraid of his work first."

    And that sentence right there is why I have never read any of his books either. Perhaps we should stop being afraid together?

    I hope your reading your own damn books proves fruitful and fulfilling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, we should! Let's do it!

      Delete
  12. I'd never heard of Sarah MacLean until my Broke and Bookish Secret Santa person requested it as as book they'd like to receive - now I'm seeing MacLean EVERYWHERE. Purely based on the covers (I know I'm not meant to judge) I wouldn't normally read these sorts of books, but everyone is raving about them so I'll have to give them a go I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the covers I wouldn't either, but from what I understand she tends to be one of those super duper romance authors who wins over non-romance readers. We'll see how it goes!

      Delete
  13. Glad to see The Royal We on your list! It was such a fun surprise for me. And I love, love, love When Women Were Birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was super excited to scoop it up on sale (The Royal We), and When Women Were Birds has been calling to me for sooo longgg.

      Delete
  14. Ooooo yeah, The Book of Unknown Americans! I read that and really, really liked it. Probably especially important, giving the immigration talk being thrown around this election season.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never read anything by Groff, but I keep hearing great things about Fates and Furies. And Mary Oliver. I keep meaning to read one of her collections of poems rather than just one poem here and there. I especially want to read her collection about dogs. I read Terry Tempest Williams' Refuge many years ago and seem to recall that it was interesting. You'll have to let me know what you think of When Women Were Birds.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. When Women Were Birds sounds so incredible; I may need to try that one, too, Andi. I can't wait to hear what you think!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like you've got a good mix coming up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik