Monday, December 21, 2015

#AMonthofFaves: Books to Movies (and TV)

TV shows and movies are not my jam, and I'm not afraid to say it. I actually thought I would have zero to say on this topic, and I was planning on cheating and subbing something else, but I came up with a post! I'll have my pat on the back now.

Be sure to pat Tanya Patrice and Tamara on the back, too, for being the other two Musketeers in this event!

So, TV and movies. The only time I watch TV is when I'm home alone on weekends or I don't have a book that's tickling my fancy. Same with movies, and I usually only go to the movies if there's something my husband or I REALLY want to see.

With that in mind, I swear by, or want to see, the following:


Outlander! This is one I swear by. A few years ago, I gulped the first four novels down in a matter of weeks, and when I found out these characters were coming to the small screen, I was STOKED. I actually haven't gotten caught up on the second half of season one, but that's probably an achievement I'll unlock over my holiday break from work.

I didn't even realize this was a thing, but there's a Madame Bovary movie! I had a blast buddy reading this one with Heather several years ago, and I'd be tickled to see it brought to the screen. The trailer down below looks lush and fabulous, and I'll be interested to see if Emma Bovary is made to appear more sympathetic in the film than she was in the novel.



Finally, a little bit of cheating. I am DYING to see Crimson Peak, directed by Guillermo del Torro and starring Tom Yum-Yum Hiddleston , which I missed when it was in theaters. This is not based on a book, but del Torro describes it in no uncertain terms as a gothic romance. Amanda from Fig and Thistle has also confirmed this for me. Can't wait!

 

What have you been loving in TV and film adaptations? I can use all the help I can get picking the good ones!



21 comments:

  1. Comic Adaptation? Jessica Jones was very dark, but so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, good call! I have no familiarity with the comic whatsoever, but I am keen to watch the show because I'm hearing such good things about it.

      Delete
  2. I'm not a TV watcher either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. Don't miss network at all. David and I usually have a show or two we're watching on Netflix for when we're brain dead, but that's about it.

      Delete
  3. I like it Naked Scot. Hubba hubba.

    We need to watch Madame Bovary together. Somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Especially if they include that carriage scene. We'll be sooooooo drunk.

      Delete
  4. Outlander, yes! Can't wait for season 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! The costumes are gonna be so pretty!

      Delete
  5. Tom Yum-Yum Hiddleston hahaha! Thanks for making me smile on this gloomy rainy day. Btw have you seen those videos of him impersonating other actors like Owen Wilson?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't help myself. lol I have not seen those videos, but I'm off to find them!

      Delete
  6. You can't just drop a picture of Jamie out there without giving a girl some warning *fans self*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, sorrryyyyy! We do like it Scot, don't we? Why, yes...yes we do.

      Delete
  7. Oh yeah, I can confirm that Crimson Peak is the best. And when I say it's the best, what I mean is that it was absolutely everything that I wanted it to be. And also Jessica Chastain is a national treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I cannot wait. I need the thing. There may be some illegal downloading this weekend. Did I say that? Noooo.

      Delete
  8. I am embarrassingly behind in the TV and movie world. When I do watch something it's usually a movie. When people talk about all the great TV shows I wish I could join in, but I know myself, and if I started watching them I would be completely hooked and nothing would get done around here.
    Anyway, if there is one movie I want to watch right now it is Far From the Madding Crowd. Someday, if my kids ever go to bed on time so that I could have a whole two hours to watch a movie then I am going to watch that one. Hopefully over the holidays. Wish me luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck finding movie watching time! Since mine is mostly limited to weekends when the kiddo is with his dad, I tend to think, "My time is limited! I have reading to do!" and skip movies completely. My husband has been itching to see Star Wars so we're going to do that today when I get off work at noon.

      Delete
  9. I haven't read or seen Outlander - both of which I'll rectify in the new year as I have all of the books and I'll no doubt *have* to watch the show after. Crimson Peak was pretty good - this is mostly because of Hiddleston, but Jessica Chastain was definitely the stand out for me. It's not quite as scary as I'd hoped, but there were a few points at which I wish I'd taken a blanket to cover my face with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love the look of Crimson Peak. Stylized movies like that get me every. single. time. I hope you love Outlander as much as I did! I more or less marathoned the first four.

      Delete
  10. I agree that Jessica Jones is a great show. I haven't read any of the graphic novels, but Rod & I are hooked on the series (which we stream from Netflix). It's pretty intense! I'll probably snag the first book after the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was planning to go see a couple of book adaptation movies over Christmas break but my friend and I both just couldn't find a good time. Still want to get to at least "Room."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik