Wednesday, December 16, 2015

#AMonthofFaves: Getting Sh*t Done

Today's prompt is all about the apps or websites you use to get shit done, but I have to admit...I kinda already covered everything I have on that topic in my Blogging Tech Essentials post. As usual, I'm not scared to go off-script, so today I'm writing about getting shit done in general.

Be sure to check out how Tamara and Tanya Patrice are getting shit done, and link up your own getting-shit-done tips down below!


It's widely known that I push the boundaries of things anyone should do all at one time ever.

I am:
  • A full-time PR director in higher education
  • A teacher of three'ish online classes split between two universities every semester
  • A reader, duh
  • A writer here and a host of things over at EstellaSociety.com
  • A writer of posts for Book Riot and Panels.net
  • A mother, wife, owner of four dogs, and a fairly decent keeper of house
  • A wearer of makeup
I touched on it in this post about The Life Changing Magic of Not Giving a Fuck, by Sarah Knight, but I'm pretty particular about how many fucks I give and to what. The list of things I do up above is basically just a shorter version of what I talked about in that post. 

Here are some strategies for getting shit done that I care to do: 

1. Block out your time. Wanna blog more? Write several posts at once. Schedule your shizzle out ahead of time so you have a buffer. Or, just don't worry about posting as much. Right now I'm filled with blogging mojo thanks to #AMonthofFaves but I started working on these posts as soon as I got the schedule, so don't think I'm over here typing this to you the morning-of. Nope! I'm typing my Dec. 16 post on Dec. 10. 

2. Put your head down and power through. My husband and I have a strategy when it comes to house cleaning: we do it on Saturday mornings. We can knock out a house of hardwood floors, bathrooms, laundry, dusting, and clutter straightening in about an hour because we split the duties down the middle and just power through that crap. My husband also works from home, so keeping up with laundry and dishes is something he does while he's waiting on things to download and back up and all the other whirligigs involved in remote IT support. We're just lucky that way.

3. Don't reinvent the wheel. When it comes to teaching online classes, I have a very specific format that I have used for years. Students work from units rather than having weekly assignments. I give them two weeks worth of content at a time with specific due dates spread out within that time. It's easier for me to plan in chunks, and they can decide if they want to work ahead or wait until the last minute. I can also control the staggering out of assignments (and grading) in a way that I can usually knock out the grading of an assignment within a lunch hour depending on the length of it and the objectives applied to it.

4. Read when it's quiet. For me this means snorking down books on the weekends while my kiddo is at his dad's house. If I read during the week it's the occasional lunch hour or a few minutes before bed. But give me a weekend and I can usually consume between one and three books. 

5. Use downtime wisely. Weekday, weekend, sleepless night, grocery line, waiting room. Do what you want when you can. I never go to baby showers, I rarely go to weddings, and most of my best friends are at work, so that gives me a chance for more downtime in the evenings and on weekends to do whatever the hell I want. My husband and I are also homebodies.

6. Pick your battles. I do not argue with my kid about clothes even if he looks like a pirate in drag. He can wear what he wants as long as he's warm/cool enough. I do not haggle over dinner. He gets what we get with an option to eat an apple, orange, or banana if he's still hungry. We don't stress out if we fail to follow our meal plan. Sometimes you just want cereal for dinner.

7. Be early. My entire family gets up at 6 a.m. every day (and all too often on weekends). We have plenty of time to get the kid into clothes, have him brush his teeth and potty, and he has a bit of free time before school. This gives me time to get dressed and put on makeup (because I love it) if my husband is home or if he's traveling (same routine either way). We are out the door by 7 a.m. which gets Greyson to a before-school program for breakfast (his preference), and I'm out the door in time to listen to podcasts on my 30-minute commute, get coffee, and be a few minutes early to enjoy the quiet.

These are just a few things I do regularly that float to the top of my brain when I'm thinking about this topic. Now dish! How do you get shit done? 




15 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you for ditching baby showers - they're the worst! Luckily for me, most of my friends are on their 2nd/3rd/4th child, so I don't have many showers anymore (who throws showers for the 3rd child?!). That is definitely something that would go on my "I don't give a f*ck" list.
    And - I like your "use downtime wisely" tip. I get most of my reading done in little snippets during downtime - while stretching at the gym, waiting to pick up my son, etc. It's not ideal (I'd much rather have big chunks of quiet time), but it's kind of the only way I can get a good amount of reading done at this stage of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they? I'm more than happy to send a gift card, but I HATE attending! So many of us are snippet readers I suspect. I'm not very good at it, so I definitely try to use weekends to my advantage.

      Delete
  2. Pick your battles! That's the best motto and one I've *tried* to stick to, especially with my kids. Some things are important. Some are NOT. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom was super anal when I was a middle schooler and high schooler. My messy room drove her nuts until a friend told her, "Pam, just shut the door." Magic! haha

      Delete
  3. Prioritize! I get up early and keep moving all day long. I have a schedule for cleaning, laundry, etc but don't stress when it doesn't work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta roll with the punches to some extend, always!

      Delete
  4. Such a good, down-to-earth list! And all reasons why we get along so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think we partially share a brain!

      Delete
  5. I am not a morning person so the getting up early part is the hardest for me. All of my blogging and online things usually get done at 11pm. But my strategy is always just to do one thing at a time. I'm not good at looking at the big picture. It tends to overwhelm me and stress me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely wasn't a morning person until Greyson came along, but now I can't get out of the habit. Even when he's not home, like now. lol Oh well.

      Delete
  6. Picking your battles is evvvvverything. I have saved myself so much aggravation by learning to pick my battles. Carolyn Hax (my most favorite advice columnist) always asks "Is this the hill you want to die on?" and THAT is what I try to ask myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE THAT SAYING! Totally gonna repeat it to myself from now on. Especially at work. lol

      Delete
  7. I love this post! It's all about prioritizing and figuring out how you want to spend your time. I'm a list maker and am motivated to get stuff done because of that. I'll use my lunch break to run errands and I try to consolidate tasks that are close together. I'm not blogging a lot right now, but I was blogging five days a week and I would always create multiple posts at a time and schedule them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I totally use my lunch break for errands, and I'm infamous for going to buy groceries before work. I have them sack all the cold stuff together, so I can put it in the work fridge, and I'm set. So much easier than dragging G out with me on the way home at night.

      Delete
  8. Pick your battles - so, so true. I need to get better about using my lunch hour more wisely. I was using it to read, but then stopped taking a lunch break all together. Also, so not a morning person. Well, I am but I much prefer to staying in bed than getting up and actually doing something. I need to get over that too. So many lost opportunities to get shit done.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik