Thursday, December 10, 2015

#AMonthofFaves: New Author Discoveries

This post should really be called "all the authors I finally read this year." For the most part, I already knew about these folks, but this was the year I finally got off my duff and read them. I am delighted to have officially "found" them for myself!

Be sure to share your 2015 new author discoveries on your own blog (or Instagram, or Twitter, or the List App...just tag #AMonthofFaves) and rock out with my co-hosts for this event, Tamara from TravelingWithT.com and Tanya Patrice from Girlxoxo.com!

Roxane Gay can do no wrong, in my humble opinion. I've been following her on Twitter for ages, and I started Bad Feminist in 2014, but I finished Bad Feminist AND read An Untamed State in 2015, and it is ON. I will read anything she writes.

Megan Mayhew Bergman's short story collection, Birds of a Lesser Paradise, has been on my TBR for a longggg time. I didn't pick it up until her newest collection, Almost Famous Women, came out this year. I loved Birds, and I'll be reading Almost Famous Women for sure.

Kelly Sue DeConnick is a bad ass bitch. And I mean that in the most flattering, meaningful way ever. She can WRITE and she provokes all the feels and thoughts. I love Bitch Planet, I love Pretty Deadly. I just want to curl up inside her head and soak up her brand of awesome.

Claudia Rankine is moving. Citizen: An American Lyric rocked my world this year with its vignettes, playful form, and exploration of race in America.

Sherman Alexie is another author I've put off reading forever. Everyone seems to love him, but the plots of his books never really spoke to me. But then I picked up The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian and I GOT IT. Oh, did I get it. Readable, funny, charming, multi-faceted. Made of win.



Who are your favorite new author finds of 2015?

26 comments:

  1. I have 4 out of 5 of these authors on my list of books to read - I especially want to read The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. And it's on my shelf so this might be the year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a quick, great read. I hope when you get around to it that you looooove it!

      Delete
  2. I'll read Roxane Gay soon, but keep avoiding Sherman Alexie. Maybe it's time to give The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian a try after all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't avoid him, please, especially The Absolutely True Diary. One of my all-time favorites.

      Delete
    2. Definitely do if you get a chance. I've also read a couple of his essays in textbooks I've taught from. So insightful.

      Delete
  3. How good was An Untamed State - especially the first half?! I didn't love Bad Feminist as much, but a couple of the essays in it really spoke to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right??? I didn't love Bad Feminist quite as much either, but it definitely had some gems. An Untamed State was just such a gut punch, and I am drawn to those books that suck me in to that extent. I am glad she included the character's coming back to herself in the second half or I think the brutality would've been too much for me. The recovery was super important.

      Delete
  4. I loved The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, as I said above, Alexie's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian is one of my all-time favorites and it is. I was supposed to have seen him twice, but because of weather and miscommunication, it didn't work out. I still would like to see him someday. The other authors, I've heard of, but have yet to read and want to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, I'd love to see Alexie speak sometime. I hope you get to, too!

      Delete
  6. I love Sherman Alexie! Great post. I'll have to check out some of the authors you mention.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had Bergman on my original list too, but I had WAY more than five authors! You and I are working in opposite directions - I need to read Birds and you need to get to Almost Famous Women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I do indeed. I'm glad we're both enjoying her!

      Delete
  8. Great list! I've read some of Alexie's books but not The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. Must get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What have you read of his? What else would you recommend? Thanks!

      Delete
  9. YES, Roxane Gay! I should follow her on Twitter, too. Love Sherman Alexie's works and I'm currently reading Almost Famous Women, so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should because she's thoughtful and hilarious and provocative and amazing. What else would you recommend by Alexie?

      Delete
  10. Oh my...I know NONE of these authors.

    Love their photos.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver’s Reviews
    My A Month of Faves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all AMAZING if you get in the mood to try someone new. :)

      Delete
  11. Roxane Gay and Sherman Alexie were on my list last year! I LOVED Absolutely True Diary, too. definitely one of the best YA novels I've read in ages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! YA of that caliber comes around very little for me. Maybe I'm reading the wrong books? Good possibility.

      Delete
  12. Have not read any of these authors but Alexie for example has been on my TBR list forever! Great lists and definitely makes me think about my yearly discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you give Alexie a go sometime! Even his essays are good!

      Delete
  13. I think I'll run screaming in the other direction! I feel like a clod for still not reading Alexie's Absolutely True Diary. Can we have 36 hours in a day? :P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik