Sunday, January 03, 2016

2016 Releases That Get Me Excited

Fear not, I am defintiely reading my own damn books in 2016, but I also took a stroll through Netgalley and Edelweiss before the year began to request a few can't-look-away, must-have titles for the new year. Here's what's got me in a tizzy.

At the absolute tippy top of my CAN'T WAIT TO READ list is Lucy Knisley's new graphic memoir, Something New: Tales From a Makeshift Bride. I'm especially excited about this one as I followed along in the days leading up to my favorite comics creator's wedding on Instagram. I have loved all of her work, and I'm excited that she's headed back to First Second publishers for this volume. The quality of her last book from First Second, Relish, was impeccable. It was a pleasure to read and a pleasure to hold and enjoy. (First Second, May 3, 2016)

Next on my list is Samantha Hunt's new novel, Mr. Splitfoot. It's the story of two young people who grow up together, one of whom can supposedly speak to the dead. When they meet a charming con man and take their act on the road, they risk their lives to escape religious zealots and cult leaders. This is split into two masterfully-written timelines, and if you hadn't guessed already, I read this one in the final days of 2015. It'll be out January 5, and I have a review going up because I found this creepy, gothic novel absolutely irresistible. (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, January 5, 2016)


Next up, The Unfinished World by Amber Sparks is a collection of short stories the description of which definitely puts it in my wheelhouse. "Sparks’s stories—populated with sculptors, librarians, astronauts, and warriors—form a veritable cabinet of curiosities." (Liveright, January 25, 2016)

Rise of the Rocket Girls: The Women Who Propelled Us, from Missiles to the Moon to Mars by Nathalia Holt is a non-fiction book I could not pass up. Not only does this book sound fascinating, one of my best friends used to work for JPL, so that's a little cherry on top.
In the 1940s and 50s, when the newly minted Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) needed quick-thinking mathematicians to calculate velocities and plot trajectories, they didn't turn to male graduates. Rather, they recruited an elite group of young women who, with only pencil, paper, and mathematical prowess, transformed rocket design, helped bring about the first American satellites, and made the exploration of the solar system possible. (Little, Brown and Company, April 5, 2016)
Trials of the Earth: The Story of a Pioneer Woman by Mary Mann is the only known first-hand account of a pioneer woman. It sounds terrible and fascinating.
"[...] a woman thrust into the center of taming the American South--surviving floods, tornadoes, and fires; facing bears, panthers, and snakes; all while caring for her children, several of whom didn't survive despite her efforts. (Little, Brown and Company, July 12, 2016)
What are you looking forward to in 2016? Any new releases getting you all riled up? 

31 comments:

  1. I think that Rocket Girls book sounds amazing. The Trials of the Earth sounds grim, but interesting. Hope all suit when you get around to them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it? I just couldn't resist Rocket Girls, especially since I've missed some similar books in the recent past. We'll see how Trials of the Earth pans out!

      Delete
  2. Trials of the earth sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love books that take me back to another time period, so I'm really hoping this one succeeds at that.

      Delete
  3. I've been hearing great things about The Unfinished World lately! And Rocket Girls looks pretty awesome as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's probably the one I'm most excited to dive into (The Unfinished World). Now if I could just pry the tablet out of kiddo's hands. lol I'm sad it's the last day of break, though!

      Delete
  4. Something New is on my excitement list too - though the top of that list is definitely filled by The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater, which has been pushed back too many times now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather sent me The Scorpio Races for Christmas and I'm excited to try it out. It'll be my first by Stiefvater!

      Delete
  5. I too loved Mr. Splitfoot, and Rocket Girls sounds great! Can't wait to hear how some of these turn out for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you loved Splitfoot! I found it absolutely engrossing!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for bringing my attention to Something New - I love Knisley's work. I sure hope my request for it gets approved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, too! I started it earlyyy this morning when I couldn't sleep. I love it so far!

      Delete
  7. Rise of the Rocket Girls looks great. I read and loved Relish last year after not really loving French Milk so I'm excited about Something New. Great books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad you loved Relish. It's my favorite of her books and this one is even longer and more involved. Fun and charming so far. Very similar in memoirish style to Relish. :)

      Delete
  8. I was already super excited for Something New, and now I have several other books on my 2016 radar! Trials of the Earth sounds especially awesome. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I reallyyyy have my fingers crossed that Trials of the Earth is as awesome as the cover.

      Delete
  9. New Lucy Knisley? YAY! That looks delightful. And I was so excited to see Heather's post (I think?) that included Rocket Girls. That looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right??? It's wonderful so far. Heck, I even adore the cover. That's right! I do think Heather mentioned Rocket Girls. Looking forward to it.

      Delete
  10. Oh, I definitely want to read "Trials of the Earth"--I love me some pioneer reading! "Rise of the Rocket Girls" also sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get enough of pioneer reading either. I can't even fathom living it.

      Delete
  11. Great choices! You have me excited about Mr. Splitfoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SOOOO GOOOOOD. I'm gonna push it on any and everyone I can find!

      Delete
  12. Awesome! Somehow I'd managed to miss both the nonfiction books on your list, but they sound great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them if you get to them! I'll be sure to review them and link them up for Nonfiction Friday.

      Delete
  13. Yay, a Lucy Knisley book. I will have to add that one to my list as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can never get enough of her work. :)

      Delete
  14. I will definitely preorder the Lucy Knisely book; read Relish and became a fan instantly. I have since her two travelogue books, A License to Life and Displacement, and loved them equally.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great list, Andi! I haven't heard of any of these and am eager to take a peek at Rocket Girl and Trials of the Earth (which brought to mind Giants in the Earth, which is a great pioneer novel!).

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Trials of the Earth and Mr. Splitfoot sound right up my alley. The only 2016 book I've paid any attention to is the next release by Simon Van Booy. Of course, you know I'll be all over that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Why, Andi?!! Why must you tempt me with MORE wonderful-sounding titles right now? :) These all sound great; I'm sort of disturbingly attracted to this tale from the pioneer woman; I'm going to look it up! Thanks for sharing these...I think.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm also super pumped for the unfinished world! And, oh my, that Trials of the Earth cover is to die for.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik