Thursday, January 07, 2016

Coloring Books for the Bookish

This post originally ran at Book Riot.

Hey, hey, hey! Coloring book time again, or “colouring” when I feel jaunty. The grown-up coloring craze continues to crank away, and we’re seeing more and more of these gems pop up with a novel (or series), as their origin. Several new coloring books perfectly suited to book lovers have come out lately or are lingering on the horizon. Hopefully you’ll find something that satisfies your coloring and fandom urges.
gameofthronescoloring

The Official A Game of Thrones Coloring Book by George R.R. Martin and Bantam is here! Get your red markers and colored pencils ready! Personally, I hope these coloring pages are slightly less graphic than what we find in the actual books and television show.

Outlandercoloringbook

The Outlander Coloring Book by Diana Gabaldon, also from Bantam, is newly-released and is, naturally, based on the books and the Starz television series. I shan’t pass up coloring these characters. Not to mention the richness of the Scottish Highlands.

Harry Potter Coloring Book

Harry Potter Coloring Book from Scholastic released on November 10, 2015. While this one is not considered an adult coloring book (it’s for ages 8+), no one can tell this grown colorer to step away from the book. I shall have it, and rest assured there are more of these books coming out in 2016. So far Harry Potter CreaturesHarry Potter Magical Places and Characters, and Harry Potter Artifacts have been announced and are available for pre-order.

sherlock coloring book

Sherlock: The Mind Palace: A Coloring Book Adventure by Mike Collins released at the beginning of November 2015 from Harper Design. Benedict Cumberbatch (sorta) + coloring = win.

tolkiens world coloring book

Tolkien’s World: A Colouring Book was available November 12, 2015 from Bounty Books. When I was ruffling away looking for new releases, there was no way I could skip over something Tolkien-related. Out of all the magical worlds I can think of, I definitely would not want to miss coloring Middle Earth.

Addendum: Did you happen to get any of these for the holidays? I have the Outlander, and it's great quality, though not all of the illustrations float my boat. 


29 comments:

  1. I saw yesterday that on Indie Bookstore Day (end of April) there is going to be a Neil Gaiman coloring book (drawn by Chris Riddell). I almost peed my pants. I will probably actually pee my pants if I actually get my hands on a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOD. I'm so glad you mentioned this! I can't wait!

      Delete
    2. That would be awesome!!

      Delete
  2. There's a Harry Potter coloring book? That's awesome! Do you have trouble referring to these as "adult" coloring books? I'm afraid people are going to think that I'm coloring naked people, doing adult things. I received Secret Garden (by Johanna Basford) for Christmas and I love it; this is my first one, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Harry Potter coloring book is awesome! I got it for my husband for Christmas, and it's lovely! I usually opt for "grown-up coloring book" rather than adult. I always feel like people are looking at me funny when I say it that way, and I've been known to threaten to add nipples to people's foreheads in my coloring book to bump it up to "adult" status. Secret Garden is BEAUTIFUL!

      Delete
  3. I didn't get any coloring books for Christmas but I am supposed to get a Hot Guys one. I'm sure it'll be hard for me to color but it should be fun to look through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHAHA! I love it. I need to seek out this "adult" coloring book. ;)

      Delete
  4. I got a whole slew of coloring books for Christmas AND fancy dancy new pencils. None of them were bookish themes, but I'm pretty OK with that. I think I'd get bored with all the flesh tone and blood of Outlander. (From a coloring perspective, obvi, because you'll have to pry the novels out of my cold dead hands.) I am pretty intrigued by the HP books, though, especially some of the new releases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at the OUtlander book. They did a great job mixing up people, really ornate, lovely rooms without people in them, feasts, objects (jewelry, Scottish bibbety bobs), etc. Great quality paper, too. I'm digging the idea of some of the newer HP books, too!

      Delete
  5. My only issue with the HP coloring book is that it uses the actors for the characters. So far that I had to give it a hard pass. Maybe if it had "movie" in the title I would be more forgiving. Hmph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, yes. I bought this one for my husband, and I think he probably prefers that for the recognizable nature of the characters. It didn't bother me much, but I don't love the style of all of the illustrations as it was created by a team of artists.

      Delete
  6. I like the looks of these-I just bought my first Adult Coloring book its called Living Colors by Pennypress, and its all flowers, which I am enjoying!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, it sounds beautiful! Enjoy! Coloring is such a great, relaxing time.

      Delete
  7. Aw haha I love that you type "colouring" when you're feeling jaunty! I've spelled it with a "u" all my life, so it looks so strange to me when it's not there. ;) Anyway - YES to the Harry Potter Coloring Book!! I can't wait to colour mine. These are all so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love non-standard (for American English) spelling! We specifically spelled our son's name Greyson instead of Grayson. lol

      Delete
  8. OMG A HARRY POTTER COLORING BOOK???I WANT!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun post! Also, I've recently seen not just adult colouring books but dot-to-dot books!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, I haven't seen those yet, but they sound fun!

      Delete
  10. I love the Game of Thrones and Outlander coloring books because of the detail. I haven't read either book, but that detail is gorgeous. I love to color for relaxation and can't believe I haven't purchased an adult coloring book, yet! You may have just shown me my first one (or two) to buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is isn't it? I hope if you decide to jump onboard you have a great time!

      Delete
  11. When I stopped in at B&N over the holidays I saw a whole table filled with coloring books and even more coloring books in the crafty magazine section. I'm sort of amazed at how popular they've become, not that I'm complaining :) Still working through my first coloring book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Which book are you working through if you don't mind me asking.

      Delete
  12. I love my Harry Potter coloring book, and I'm already excited there's like, three more coming out later in the year! My favorites for non-bookish coloring have been the Secret Garden and Lost Oceans! Soooo detailed but so pretty when they're done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! The ones on the horizon look just as good if not better than this first one. All of Basford's stuff is just beautiful. I consider those the ultimate coloring books.

      Delete
  13. Stopping by here is the worst thing I've done all morning because I now need ALL OF THE HARRY POTTER COLOURING BOOKS. I got it for Christmas and gosh it's so much fun - I'm excited there are more. Colouring in as an adult is so time consuming now that I don't want to just do flat blocks of colour. Shading, shading, and more shading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, it's true! You do! It is time consuming isn't it? I can't "just color" it seems. So. Much. Detail.

      Delete
  14. I hate to admit this, but I discovered with the Harry Potter Colouring Book that coloring, for me, is stressful. I was getting way too worried about the using the right shade of red or staying within the lines. Even the Colorfy app stresses me out! I ended up giving all of my coloring books to Holly for now. Perhaps when I am in a better mental and physical state, I can try again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Harry Potter and Sherlock coloring books have been huge hits in our store. Can't keep 'em in stock. I haven't seen the Tolkien book, though, so I'll have to order some in. I'm sure it will do very well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik