Monday, January 11, 2016

It's Monday and a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!

Bout of Books
This past week was Bout of Books 15, and while I didn't make a master post here, I've been updating my progress on Instagram and Twitter. This was the perfect event to get the year off to a good start and get some momentum behind #ReadMyOwnDamnBooks and reading in general.

I managed to finish five books, I partially read a couple more, and I came in around the 1,000 page mark! I haven't had a reading week that good in...well...a LONG time.

Here's what I managed to finish...

Something New: Tales from a Makeshift Bride by Lucy Knisley was great! This is a review book for later in the year, but I will say now: this is just the same quality as my favorite of Knisley's work, Relish! 

American Housewife: Stories by Helen Ellis is a short story collection I'll be reviewing later this week. While I enjoyed it on the whole, it was hit or miss at times. 



Captain Marvel Vol. 1: Higher, Further, Faster, More by Kelly Sue DeConnick and David Lopez was a huge hit. While I don't often read capes and tights comics, this one had the storytelling heft I'm accustomed to from DeConnick. 

The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham has been on my shelves for several years. When I "taste tested" a few books, this one stuck in a big way and I managed to read it in just a few sittings. What a tear jerker! Thanks to Care for jumping in and buddy reading this one with me on the fly! 

Monstress #1 by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda was included in my latest Landfall Freight subscription box, and this fantasy comic was totally involving. I can't wait to read the second issue, which is waiting patiently on my e-reader. 


I also read about 50 pages of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix as I march on with my re-read of the series. After a little break to read other things, I feel refreshed. 

Freedom Fries and Cafe Creme by Jocelyn Rapinac was the opposite of refreshing. I found the writing stilted and the connections to food ridiculous. Sadly, DNF. 


After a break to "taste test" some books this afternoon, I'm also currently reading Angelology by Danielle Trussoni. I originally picked this book up several years ago because Justin Cronin, author of The Passage and The Twelve, recommended it somewhere or other. I'm not too far in, but the writing sucked me in immediately, and I'm looking forward to seeing where on earth (in heaven?) this one goes. 

Finally, Ana, Jenny, Heather, and myself have a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT! 


Book Blogger Appreciation is baaaaaack! With My Friend Amy, the fearless founder's, blessing, the four of us will be hosting this event via estellasociety.com in February. We are sooooo excited to bring this event back to the community, and we hope you'll share the news along with the hashtag #BBAW. Sign-ups will go live next week!

I hope you had a fantastic week and find yourself nose-deep in books. Happy reading!










43 comments:

  1. I'm supposed to be getting ready to go for a run right now, but I couldn't resist the big announcement-ha! This sounds exciting and Incan't wait to hear more, Andi! Hope your week is off to a great start and kudos on all of your reading!! Woo hoo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I love it! I'm so glad you popped in for the announcement. I think you'll really like BBAW. :)

      Delete
  2. I LOVED BBAW in the past. I am so glad it is coming back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Us too! We really missed it, and we're lucky to have Amy's blessing!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes ma'am! We missed it so much!

      Delete
  4. Ooh, how fun! I loved BBAW back in the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Us too! We've been longing for it ever since 2012. :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had a great reading week and I'm looking forward to your review of American Housewife! Mine will be up later this week as well. Sounds like we were pretty much on the same page here.

    And - Book Blogger Appreciation Week is new to me! Looking forward to checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! I definitely think we're on the same page re American Housewife. I'll be watching for yours! I think you'll love BBAW!

      Delete
  6. Over a 1000 pages! Girl, you read the crap out of this BoB! Looking forward to checking out BBAW, as it would be my first! Can't wait to see how your furniture turns out this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! I couldn't believe it! I really didn't do much differently except more reading before bed. I need to get off my phone! I think you'll love BBAW, and I can't wait for furniture! Patience is not my thing.

      Delete
  7. Wow, you had a great Bout of Books! You and Heather are workhorses for the book blogging community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes girl! And happy to be.

      Delete
  8. I remember BBAW from the very beginning. I'll look forward to seeing what you guys will do with it. Great reading week, Andi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kay! We're scheming behind the scenes coming up with some good stuff!

      Delete
  9. Way to go for bringing back BBAW. That is exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! We're really really looking forward to it!

      Delete
  10. Andi, congrats on all of those books you read for BoB - that's awesome! I have American Housewife and Freedom Fries on my kindle, but am thinking I can wait to get to them now. The Maugham book sounds sooo good - I must read it! I've read Angelology and really enjoyed it. I have the sequel on my kindle, but have yet to read it. Its definitely a book that sucks you in and keeps you reading - glad you are enjoying it!

    That's so cool about BBAW - how exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It felt really good to have a good "run" of reading. It's been so long that it's felt a little like work to read. I just have to remember to ditch the books that are not working for me and move on! I'm so glad to know you enjoyed Angelology! I hear surprisingly little about that one.

      Delete
  11. I have see a few blogs now that has American Housewife on it. Must be a good book. You can see mine here: http://theresaraymer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's getting a fair bit of buzz, but I had lukewarm feelings about it.

      Delete
  12. American Housewife looks so fun. :) Love the cover.

    I want to join in the fun of Book Bloggers Appreciation Week.

    Thanks for sharing the news about BBAW, and have a wonderful reading week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! The cover is so good. We will be glad to have you for BBAW!

      Delete
  13. I am really curious about MONSTRESS. I ALMOST got the first issue last week but resisted...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh it's soooo goooood! It's also a really good buy because it's a long first issue at 74 pages.

      Delete
  14. Well done during Bout o Books. Great to get some good reading accomplished. lot of readers mentioning American Housewife. Book Bloggers Appreciation Week sounds like it will be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you enjoy BBAW when it comes around!

      Delete
  15. I haven't read Angelology but I heard about it once last summer on a road trip with my friends. One friend brought it to read in the car and another told us about how Danielle Trussoni caused major rifts in her family with that book because apparently my friend is from the author's home town. I got flashbacks when I saw the cover, but I hope you enjoy the read.

    And yay BoB! I feel so great after a pretty solid week of reading and I feel more excited for reading than I have in MONTHS. Also I've begun rereading HP with my book club and it's just the most fantastic thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I didn't realize that about Trussoni's family troubles in relation to this novel. I will definitely do some reading up on that part of it. I'm so glad you're enjoying HP and that you had a good Bout of Books!

      Delete
  16. I've American Housewife on hold at the library, but you're the second person who has said it is hit or miss for them. I'm debating on whether to cancel my hold and move on to something else or hang in there in hopes that it will be a hit for me. Decisions, decisions...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would go ahead and try it. It's a really short, quick read, and I probably would've enjoyed it more if I'd dipped in and out of it rather than reading it straight through for Bout of Books. It's definitely worth a go!

      Delete
  17. Good stuff all around! Look at you getting the year off to an excellent start with your reads and looking forward to BBAW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I haven't felt this jazzed about reading in ages!!!

      Delete
  18. So excited to finally hear the announcement about BBAW!! I'm looking forward to it all, including the changes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't wait for it to be time! <3

      Delete
  19. That is some great reading Andi! Enjoy your week and preparing for BBAW

    ReplyDelete
  20. Woooooo for BBAW! Can't wait! I hope we can do Amy proud!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't recall what goes on during BBAW...fill me in please!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so exciting about BBAW! I loved how it really brought the community together and put everyone in such a lovey-dovey mood! I'm glad you amazing ladies are bringing it back. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay for BBAW!!!! I think it is exactly what the community needs after such a rocky 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hooray!! Can't wait to hear/read what you guys have in store for us with BBAW!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was always intrigued by Angelology, but mostly because of the cover.
    Also, BBAW is fantastic - glad to hear it's coming back and that you'll be running it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik