Thursday, February 04, 2016

#ComicsFebruary: The Time is Now


I have so many damn comics to read! Not complaining, just looking forward to immersing myself after letting these pile up on my ereader and on my shelves.

My single issue subscriptions are piling up the fastest, so I'm excited to get caught up on...





  • Gotham Academy by Becky Cloonan and Brenden Fletcher
  • Batgirl by Babs Tarr, Cameron Stewart, et al
  • Jem and the Holograms by Kelly Thompson, Sophie Campbell, et al
  • Bitch Planet by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Valentine De Landro







I also grabbed a few free first issues and subscribed to some new series!


  • Lady Mechanika #0 by Joe Benitez
  • Lady Killer #1 by Joelle Jones and Jamie S. Rich
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #1-5 by Steve Ditko, Will Murray, and Ryan North
  • Paper Girls #2-5 by Brian K. Vaughan, Cliff Chiang, and Matt Wilson
  • Pretty Deadly #6-8 by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Emma Rios
  • Monstress #2 by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda



I also have some trades to get to, and I'm really looking forward to these...


  • Thor Vol. 1: The Goddess of Thunder by Jason Aaron, Russell Dauterman, and Jorge Molina
  • The Wicked + The Divine by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie
  • The Fade Out Volumes 1 and 2 by Ed Brubaker, Elizabeth Breitweiser, and Sean Phillips



Subscription box goodies and graphic novels from my stacks:


  • The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman and Chris Riddell
  • Never Goodnight by Coco Moodysson
  • Drawing Blood by Molly Crabapple
  • Bone Volumes 2 and 3 by Jeff Smith

Whew! I think that's it for now. There's always more waiting in the wings, so who knows which ones I'll actually pick up!

What are you looking forward to for #ComicsFebruary? 















16 comments:

  1. I am so out of the loop when it comes to comics and really need to look into them more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Le me know if you ever want any recommendations!

      Delete
  2. I have Nimona on my shelves (okay, Bee got it for Christmas, but she said I can borrow it!) and Bee just finished Lumberjanes #1, so I promised her I would buy her the next one in the series. So glad I found my girl's niche so we have some awesome books to share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wheeee! You're going to love Nimona. I'm deep into Lumberjanes and love it more every day. Also, anything by Gene Luen Yang...especially American Born Chinese.

      Delete
  3. I have a couple of questions and I think you may just be the perfect person to ask: What's the best way to start with comics? You mentioned subscription series: how do I get in out that? Also, where is the best place to find single issue comics? There is only one store nearby, and they most cater to tabletop gamers rather than readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey lady! So I have the same problem. I don't have any comics shops readily available, so I got into Comixology subscriptions. They're digital and can be read easily on a computer, tablet, phone, whatever. Comixology's reader app has a built in option to read a whole page at a time, or it will lead you through reading the page a panel or two at a time so you get a closer look and it's not too small to read. It's really a pleasant way to experience the comic, and the colors are amazing on a tablet, for instance. Are you also wondering how to start picking comics to read? I would recommend checking out Panels.net (I'm totally biased) since they have great recs every week and some stuff for people who are new to comics!

      Delete
  4. Look at all those pretty books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want to dive into the middle!

      Delete
  5. I've only read a couple of graphic novels, but decided to take a peek at The Sculptor while on my lunch break today. I'm hooked and can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oohhh, it's so goooood. McCloud is so good with subtle things in his illustration that enrich the text. The ending is a whopper, too. Holler when you're done and let's chat about it!

      Delete
  6. I AM SO EXCITED THAT YOU'RE GOING TO BE READING THOR!!!!! The story is amazing and the artwork is to die for. And Thor is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait!!!! I might just dive into it this weekend. Woot!

      Delete
  7. I'm the weirdo that would rather read all the issues at once rather than in single release. So I've been waiting waiting waiting freaking waiting for Saga to finish up (which I know is also a sad thought...who wants a series to end). LOL! I just started The Shadow Hero yesterday and will hopefully finish it this weekend. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's a lot of comics! Guess what I just picked up from the library? A Lucy Knisley book. Can't wait to get that started.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alias! I am going to finally actually finish reading Alias! I AM GOING TO DO IT. Or if not that, then definitely I'll be reading Paper Girls, which I keep hearing terrific things about, and I'm hoping to catch up on the new Hellcat comic. I'm fond of Patsy Walker since Jessica Jones, and I am hoping that she will team up with Kate Bishop because <3.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thor! I really liked that! But ooh I am attracted to that Lady Killer cover and am SO wanting to read Monstress. Marjorie Liu!! You're going to have an awesome comics Feb!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik