Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Gender Outlaws: A Vocabulary for Understanding



This review might be full of serious but embarrassing admissions. Things like...until two years ago, I had no idea what cisgender meant. Or even that it was a word. By extension cis male and cis female were completely alien to me. I went into Gender Outlaws: The Next Generation, by Kate Bornstein and S. Bear Bergman, with the expectation that I would learn a lot (because I knew, really, nothing), but I got even more than I bargained for.

An expanded vocabulary has happened. Besides the terms above: pangender, bigender, cisnormativity, feminine or masculine presenting, FtM, MtF, etc. I could go on for a while (Comprehensive* List of LGBTQ+ Terms). While I feel ultra stupid, I don't exist in a day-to-day environment where these terms are utilized. Small town Texans are not so much in favor (generally) of discussing gender identity or thinking beyond binaries. A person might get shot for that (only a little kidding). Thank you, Internet, for throwing open the doors of experience and understanding because it was in conversation with friends online that I realized I was missing a lot.

I feel like this book was a great starting point for someone who wishes to gain a greater understanding of the breadth of experience across the gender identity continuum. There were experiences included in these essays and poetry, performance art and comics that touched, entertained, and educated me. As Goodreads puts it, Bornstein and Bergman "collect and contextualize the work of this generation's trans and genderqueer forward thinkers." It blew the top of my head off in the best way, and I can't wait to read more. If you're interested, I have a whole list of book recommendations here that represent LGBTQ+ issues and marginalized voices thanks to Cass

Seal Press, August 2010
ISBN: 1580053084 
Purchased by me during a Seal Press ebook sale!

11 comments:

  1. I can only think of a few people I know in real life who would be willing to discuss gender identity so I know exactly what you mean. This sounds like an outstanding book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was exceptional. Really so so impressive.

      Delete
  2. I CAN'T WAIT to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love it! It was so impressive and thoughtful and thought-provoking.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like this should be recommend reading, but I'm sure it's banned in 99.9% of the high schools across the country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes! If they dared to try I'm sure it would be shot down. Sucks.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you liked this one! I learned from it, too, and I'm in those circles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just such a breadth of experience and opinion. Totally amazing.

      Delete
  5. I *need* to read this. Is it my generation or my small town, but I just don't hear these terms come up in everyday life. No excuse. I need to educate myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it's my small town: the single copy at my library is available immediately (via overdrive). At my brother's big-city library, there are 3 copies and 15 people waiting for *each* copy!

      Delete
  6. I think I'd learn at least as much new information as you did from this one! It sounds very helpful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik