Thursday, March 31, 2016

The Week That Was a Glorious Mess

No complaints here, but I am amused by the fluidity of...everything. Super busy, chaotic job is gone, and home-life, teaching, writing chaos rushes in to fill the gaps.

Several times this week I found myself on marathon phone calls with the call waiting buzzing in my ear and Facebook and Twitter going off with messages from family and friends all in a wonderful jumble. Yesterday was a day of online class planning, conference calls, and prep prep prep for a new adjunct teaching opportunity.

If I've picked up a book this week, I fell asleep next to it shortly after, angering the dog because I dropped it in her spot.

I hit 10,000 steps on my FitBit for the first time ever yesterday. Working from home, no less! Since I was a captive audience on all those conference calls, I figured walking in place or dancing around was as good a pastime as any.

I've picked up the kiddo from his after school program early on a couple of afternoons. Last night we got through homework so quickly and effortlessly that Greyson and I snuggled up together on the chaise lounge, and he watched YouTube videos about Zootopia while I petted his hair and dozed.

David is out of town for the second week, so sleep is spotty. Why Susie the Basset hound needs hugs at 3am I'll never know. This morning I was awake at 1:30, 2:30, 4:30 and again at 5:15.

Next, I'm off to the cardiologist for a preventative appointment before my insurance craps out. My father died young of a heart attack, so an EKG and stress test are in order. Glad I've had my coffee. I'll overlook the fact that the office gave me the wrong appointment time by two and a half hours.

I hope you're all having a gloriously messy week. Because if it's gonna be messy, I hope it's at least glorious.







16 comments:

  1. Love that you're embracing the mess! Have fun (? -- ha!) at the doctor's, but v glad you're taking care of yourself. I do hope you get some sleep -- you're on the same schedule as me, and I've got a 16-month-old still nursing with an ear infection! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same problem, last night. Isabel jumps onto the bed to beg for ear rubs in the middle of the night and we had noisy storms. I don't know how he did it, but I'm pretty sure Husband slept through the entire lightning and thunder concerto. If there'd been a mattress in the closet, I would have slept there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound like a great week! I hope all goes well at the cardiologist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like your handling the stress well. I love that you have down time in all that craziness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are engaging in some self-care. I'm in the midst of a messy week and I'm so glad this weekend is going to be a break of sorts because I really, REALLY need it. Good luck with the doctor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I slept better than I have in a while (well, until that completely dead arm forced me to turn over!) but woke up today feeling completely exhausted. I think I'll head back for a wee nap before getting going on my day. It will be filled with yardwork. See, that makes your doctor appointment seem more fun, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow sounds busy indeed.
    But you are getting it already, well done!
    Hope everything is allright regarding the cardiologist.
    In my case the week is being horrible too, but it has a single cause: we had the time change last Saturday (in Easter holidays!) and it's killing me. Hope it gets easier next week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've found that pacing while talking on the phone (specifically to my mother, who an filibuster with the best of them) is an excellent way to get my steps in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a busy, but great week! Good luck at the cardio doc appt.!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You sound busy, but very happy! Congrats on the 10,000 steps and the snuggles with the little guy (and the pup). Your hubby will be home before you know it and I suspect he'll see a remarkable change in your outlook on life. You've shed that awful job and now you're kickin' some butt! Hope all went well with your cardiologist.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to embrace that new chaos - so much easier to embrace when it's chaos of your own choosing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't strange how you can lose a big something that you devoted a whole bunch of time to and yet once it's gone, you are still ridiculously busy? I had that when I received my first Masters years ago. I thought it would be this huge relief and an opportunity for relaxation, but the busy-ness just continued. Adulting. Meh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the glorious messiness! I was born with a heart condition, so I go to the cardiologist twice a year most years just to make sure everything is still good, and what I HATE the most of anything is that damn stress test. It is just no fun, not at all. I hope everything went well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Damn, girl! Sounds exhausting! Particularly the interrupted sleep bit -- I am garbage without a reliable amount of sleep, so I've been cranky as hell this whole month. I may have to reinstitute use of a sleep mask, which wreaks hell on my eyebrows but does somehow make me sleep more soundly.

    I hope your doctor appointment went well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. That sounds like quite a week! Hope the medical tests all went well, glad to hear that you're taking care of yourself both with these tests and with the Fitbit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hate talking on the phone sitting down. I don't want to get a Fitbit because I would get obsessed, but I really want one! Just finished reading Being Mortal by Atul Gawande (finally, no pun intended!) and need to turn to something cheerier on this rainy Thursday now. Good for you for going to the doctor's!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik