Sunday, April 24, 2016

April 2016 Dewey's #Readathon Wrap-Up!

Whew! Another Readathon in the bag, and Heather and I are chillin' today. I hope she is. I know I am!

If you're interested, the next Readathon will be October 22, 2016. You can find the full wrap and volunteer sign-ups here.

SO, it was a busy day, as it always is. There was lots going on behind the scenes, but I did carve out some time to read...especially when Allison, my personal Readathon MVP, got addicted to Twitter and hosted there for FOUR HOURS! Hello, READING!


My hands-down favorite book of the event, was the audio of Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? It was only about four hours long and completely perfect for an event like this. From her ruminations on weight and fashion, to ridiculously funny anecdotes about show business, this one was a 5-star winner.

I also completed about half of Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer. That's a feat since this one has been a terminal Readathon choice that I NEVER actually pick up. I hope I can finish it today! It's about teens with emotional struggles in a special school who are chosen to take part in a Special Topics in English class. They read Sylvia Plath exclusively, and then odd things start to happen. I'll shush now!

On the "meh" side of things, sadly, were the two comics I read. Ikebana by Yumi Sakugawa was lovely in style, but the short length of it left me wanting. Tomb Raider #1 from Mariko Tamaki and Phillip Sevy was more of the same and left me fairly ambivalent.

If you're interested in seeing check-ins from throughout the day, those are housed in the Facebook group. We'd love to have you!

I also plan to upload my Snap story since I vlogged the thing and got pretty loopy in the early hours, but that'll have to come later since my Internet hates uploads.

I hope you all had a GREAT readathon or just a great Saturday.

Now, on to the next event. Announcement coming tomorrow! 


Join the Facebook group!




17 comments:

  1. Thanks for all you do to bring the reading community together in this great event. It appears I suck at actually reading during readathon so I'm thinking I need to plan to help with things that don't actually involved sitting still and trying to stay awake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, we all suck at reading during Readathon...especially if we're organizers/helpers. We'd love to have you help if you're into it! <3

      Delete
  2. Okay, I'm marking October 22 on my calendar right now! Glad you finally got to read Belzhar. Another event/announcement? Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep yep! Teaser on my sidebar now! This is gonna be a quick, fun event so I hope you'll jump in!

      Delete
  3. I had an awesome Readathon not because I necessarily read more books or pages than I would on any Saturday but because of the AMAZING community. I was blown away by how supportive and encouraging everyone was and so excited to be part of Team Owl! Loads of thanks to you and all the organizers for everything you did to make it a kick-ass day, and I'm looking forward to October! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty mindblowing to see everyone rally together and find the community spirit. I"m so glad you had a great day!

      Delete
  4. It sounds like it was a great day! You and Heather deserve some time to relax!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband is a Star Wars fan. He equated my joy with the release of a new movie trailer. I told him he understood me. He was immensely patient with my zombie state today. I'd love to volunteer in October. I just don't have a lot of confidence in my tech skills. I'd be happy to cheer. Thanks for all the efforts from your team. Impressive job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was such a great readathon! Thank you for organizing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another event? Smash your stack? Sounds like something I need right about now. Eagerly await the announcement.

    P.S. I have the Mindy Kaling book on my hold list - seems like audio is a good choice with this one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for hosting the readathon. I didn't spend a lot of time blogging or participating in an of the treats because I wanted to just read, read, read. But The Dewey 24 event gave me a good excuse to do just that.
    http://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com/2016/04/sunday-salon-and-dewey-24-hour.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Snapchat made the event for me. I'm so glad I finally bit the bullet and downloaded the confusing thing. So excited to abuse it in October!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your snaps made me laugh out load! Well, yours and Shaina's. I think Shaina's last one should be made into a gif as an example of what it is like for those reading in the wee hours of the readathon. Heather and you did an excellent job, as always, of organizing and running the event. Take all the time you need to rest and relax. You totes deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed Belzhar when I read it. I hope you get a chance to finish it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's too bad the comic books were duds. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik