Monday, April 11, 2016

Monday Reading, 04.11.2016



It's Moooonday, it's Moooonday. I'm actually grading papers right now, which makes it fortuitous that I remembered to pre-draft this post!

I have finished a whopping TWO books this week, which for me really is whopping. I finally got over last week's case of the gobbledybooks and found some focus.

Finished

The Regional Office is Under Attack! by Manuel Gonzales: Totally fun, rip-roaring, assassiny good time. I'll be reviewing this one here on the blog tomorrow.

13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl by Mona Awad: Another winner! I loved these connected short stories, and I'll have a BookTube review to share this week.

Reading Now

The Twelve by Justin Cronin: Heather was kind enough to send me her ARC of City of Mirrors because she's not caught up with the series, so I figured I'd BETTER get caught up with the series! I'm ripping through this one. I was a little worried about how much time has passed (exactly six years) since I read The Passage, but I feel totally with it.

Pretty Monsters by Kelly Link: I can't read these fantasy and magical realism stories in quick succession. I am really enjoying them, but they're fairly long, and I need to digest in between.

Next

In the Country of Last Things by Paul Auster: Since I've wrapped up the Clean Your Reader challenge, I'm going to focus on the physical books involved in #ReadMyOwnDamnBooks. This Auster novel is fairly short, and the first few pages grabbed me with its post-apocalypticness.

Pain, Parties, Work: Sylvia Plath in New York, 1953 by Elizabeth Winder: Something different! I haven't read any nonfiction in a while, and as a preventative to a potential slump, I'm going to throw this one into the mix. It's been beckoning for a while.

What are you reading and loving? 

Hosted by The Book Date


27 comments:

  1. What an eclectic mix! I love everything on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope they all pan out!

      Delete
  2. Sylvia Plath has always intrigued me. Curious about this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! She's so iconic and tragic. I'll keep ya posted.

      Delete
  3. I'm a little nervous about reading City of Mirrors since it's been so long since I read The Twelve - hopefully it will be as seamless as The Passage/Twelve transition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, too. At first I thought the transition from The Passage to The Twelve was a little hokey, but ultimately it was a really clever way to flash back and re-orient the reader.

      Delete
  4. Haha! I love your preventative method! Might have to try that at some point. And I'm looking forward to Regional Office!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, thanks! I hope you love Regional Office!

      Delete
  5. Pain Parties Work is on my TBR. It sounds absolutely fascinating. I'm intrigued by your description of The Regional Office is Under Attack. How can I resist a rip-roaringly assassiny good time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right??? It is a fairly irresistible book, I have to say. As for Pain, Parties, Work, I hope you can get to it soon!

      Delete
  6. It's been so long since I read The Passage, and have been putting off reading The Twelve because of it, but you have given me hope that it's possible to pick it back up without re-reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is DEFINITELY possible! He makes the transition so easy, and it's such a clever way to go about it. You'll see!

      Delete
  7. Love your list! I really want to read The Regional Office Is Under Attack and 13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl! I am going to pass on Justin Cronin though. The Passage was harrowing, and I knew once I finished it that I could not go on with the series. You are braver than me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harrowing is a good word for it. I ate it up and loved it, even when it ripped my heart out!

      Delete
  8. I loved the Justin Cronin trilogy - it was awesome! You are going to love the last book! I've seen the Winder book around for awhile and always thought about reading it, but never did. I'm glad you reminded me about it - I've just added it to the top of my TBR pile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck getting to Winder! And I am soooo stoked to move on with Cronin's trilogy! So far, soooo gooood.

      Delete
  9. Quite the mix of books - I always find throwing in a non fiction book to be a good idea when my reading is a little meh.

    Happy Reading!
    Reading With Jade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I never thought of nonfiction as a slump buster, but time and time again, it proves that it's great at busting slumps!

      Delete
  10. Pretty Monsters sounds interesting. I hope you enjoy your books this week.

    My It's Monday! What Are You Reading? post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay, so good to hear you can recommend both The Regional Office is Under Attack! and 13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl cause I put both on my tbr!
    Ahh grading papers, poor you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I should probably skim The Twelve before I start City of Mirrors once it's released. I've forgotten so much about both of the books!

    I'm listening to Be Frank With Me after hearing JoAnn rave about how good it is. I listened to a sample of the audio a couple of weeks ago and wasn't sold on the voice of Frank, but once I actually started listening to the audio, I was hooked. This is such an entertaining novel and I think it will wind up on my 2016 Top Ten List, unless it suddenly takes a nose dive, which I doubt will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kelly Link has been compared with Amber Sparks, I believe. I have read her before but not in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man I can't wait for your Booktube review of 13 Ways Of Looking At A Fat Girl because I'm sure you'll channel all of the feelings I had about the book with so much more eloquence than I ever could.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I really want to read "13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl"--it sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, I have The Passage and put it on hold immediately after hearing it was an unfinished trilogy. Waiting for that last one in May before I even consider reading the one I have. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your display.

    Lots of different books.

    I hope your week is good.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm really sad to have to give up on Cronin's trilogy, but got damn, man! I can barely remember what I read last week, much less 800 years ago, and if those books weren't eleventy-million pages long MAYBE I would be inclined to go back and refresh my recollection. Wow, that was quite the whine, wasn't it? Frankly, while I know I enjoyed the first two, The Passage especially, I don't feel any burn to keep going since I barely remember them. So really, my issue, not Cronin's, I suppose. But seriously. Isn't that too long between series books? There's a post idea for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik