Monday, May 16, 2016

Monday Reading | 05.16.16


Morning, friends! Last week was Bout of Books and it gave me the push I needed to dig into my reading. I also wrapped up the semester's grading for all my classes, so I had more guilt-free time to lie around on my couch with books. It was a magical combo!

I managed to zip through The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig. I wasn't exactly sure what I was getting into when I started it. I think I picked the book up at a used bookstore on a whim many years ago, and it's been lounging on my stacks ever since. This one is very much a historical romance novel, and it was so stinkin' much fun. I don't read romance often, but when I find the right one, I quite enjoy them. While I was annoyed with some of the typical tropes, I did enjoy it overall: a spunky heroine, a swashbuckling nobleman, the French court. Yes, yes, yes.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline is another book that's been on my stacks for ages. Every time I've picked it up, I've put it down after a few pages, so I thought I'd come at this one from a different angle by listening to the audiobook from Scribd. That was the change I needed. Wil Wheaton's narration was excellent and sucked me right in. I finished this one in about three days, and by the time I got to the last fourth of it, I just lounged in my bed until it was done. I could not walk away from it.

Finally, I sucked down issues 1-5 of The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl by Ryan North and Erica Henderson. I've put this off and put it off, but once I dove in, I absolutely adored it. There's a bit of a Lumberjanes vibe from the quirky, girl-power protagonist, and it is offbeat wonderful.

I also started and DNFed a few books this week since I'm trying to give myself less crap about doing that. Books that didn't make the cut:


The topics and/or writing of these--The Earthquake Machine by Mary Pauline Lowry and Pain, Parties, Work by Elizabeth Winder--were just off for me, and they've both been languishing on my shelves for years, so they are leaving the house. There are plenty of other books to dig into rather than spending more time struggling with these. 


Now I'm on to the next book...Running the Rift by Naomi Benaron which won the Bellwether Prize for Socially Engaged Fiction and is about...
Jean Patrick Nkuba from the day he knows that running will be his life to the moment he must run to save his life. A naturally gifted athlete, he sprints over the thousand hills of Rwanda and dreams of becoming his country’s first Olympic medal winner in track. But Jean Patrick is a Tutsi in a world that has become increasingly restrictive and violent for his people. As tensions mount between the Hutu and Tutsi, he holds fast to his dream that running might deliver him, and his people, from the brutality around them. (Goodreads)
All of these books are my own books, and most of them have graced my shelves for three to five years, so this week has been a #SmashYourStack and #ReadMyOwnDamnBooks win! 







14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good reading week! I think I'm going to have to track down The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl; Giant Days has got me craving female-led comics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sounds like a heck of a reading week! Good for you for DNF'ing what doesn't work. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of Running the Rift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pink Carnation sounds like wonderful escapist stuff. That's the kind of thing I like for vacation reads. Need to make a note to get that one from the library in July.

    I am so glad you liked the audio of Ready Player One! I would love to listen to that one again someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had Running the Rift on my shelf for years too. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Ready Player One and would like to revisit it on audio one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no interest in reading Ready Player One but when I heard Wil Wheaton narrates the audio I couldn't resist! I'm looking forward to listening to it. Pink Carnation is on my TBR as well. I read a 1920s book by Willig and really loved it so I'd love to see more of her work. Great reading! Too bad Pain, Parties, Work didn't work out for you. I've had it on my radar for awhile but haven't picked it up yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, a three-book week - sounds heavenly! :) Love that you're letting yourself off the hook for DNFs ... and now I have the "Let it go" song from Frozen stuck in my head. *rolls eyes at self*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you for not killing yourself trying to finish books you're not enjoying. Makes room for you to get to books you'd actually like reading! Smashing your stack like a pro, Andi. Impressive reading week. I've put The Secret History of the Pink Carnation on my TBR now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is so great! Glad you finally gave it a read and enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job with #ReadMyOwnDamnBooks!! I loved Ready Player One and I think the main reason is that the audio was fantastic. I'm not sure I would have been as enthralled with the print. I had the Willig novel on my shelves for years but purged it a few purges ago. Your enthusiasm makes me consider regretting that decision!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like an awesome reading week! And good for you for DNFing and getting them out of your house!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed Pain, Parties, Work, but if I'd already gotten around to The Bell Jar, I think it would have been a pointless read. It's a sad story and much the same as the fictional account. I can't blame you for setting it free. Looks like a great reading week for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet! I have got to get on with posting and linking a #ReadMyOwnDamnBooks post already. I have some read!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh, a hidden running gem - NICE! Excited to hear what you think! Also, I find that DNF-ing books can be a very freeing exercise; who needs THAT pressure? Way to go!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik