Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Books Calling: Will I Answer?

I've been randomly perusing my shelves, picking up books here and there, and then, more often than not, laying them back down again. However, yesterday Travelers Rest by Keith Lee Morris grabbed me. This one is about a family (mother, father, son) traveling cross-country from picking up Uncle Robbie from rehab. They stop in a snow storm at a derelict hotel in Good Night, Idaho and that's where things get really weird. I feel a little disconnected from the writing at this point, and I find it a little choppy and cold, but I'm going to endure because the premise is creepalicious.

Next up is The Fireman for #FiremanAlong. I'm actually waiting on my library copy, but I have high hopes for this one. Not so much because of the premise, but because Joe Hill has a way of grabbing me by the hair with his whacked-out storytelling.

I visited the library to restock Greyson's ginormous stack of books for the summer reading program, and I thought I might grab something for myself if anything jumped out at me. Well, of course some books jumped.

Skim by Mariko and Jillian Tamaki: This graphic novel came home with me this past Readathon, but I never got around to it. I need to remedy that because I already know I love Mariko and Jillian Tamaki's work.

Aya # 1 by by 


  1. I'm a little embarrassed to admit, I didn't realize Mariko and Jillian Tamaki had anything else out. I'll have to pick up Skim!

  2. Everything. Everything has been coming in from the library lately! Books, books for the kid, movies for her, music, shows for me. It's an addiction. I will look forward to hearing about Hattie! Dear Fang, With Love was my recent library obsession - so good!

  3. I have so many books calling my name, I don't know which one to pick up!

  4. I did pretty much the same thing last month, only finishing one book in print. July will probably be similar, due to vacation. Enjoy your books!

  5. Makes sense that the graphic novels would jump like that—lately, I feel like I'm drawn to comics/GNs when I can't focus on anything else.

    You'll have to keep me posted on The Fireman. Locke & Key has made me a card-carrying member of the Joe Hill fan club, and I know I'll be seeking out more of his work soon.

    Also, go Greyson on leveling up in his summer reading! Kiddo (and mom!) must feel good. :)

    1. Oh, and as for what's jumping out at me, I just left the library with God Help the Child by Toni Morrison and I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Ian Reid. The latter popped up on two blogs I trust (Michelle's and Lauren's), and they both gave this creepy little book top marks. Maybe you should check it out if you're in the mood for spooky but Travelers Rest doesn't pan out!

  6. I am 40% into The Fireman and so far, not so whacked. Very readable though. I am blowing through it.

  7. I hope one of these sticks! I tried Travelers Rest and put it down for no reason in particular, then just went ahead and returned it to the library. SHRUG.

  8. I have a feeling you're heeding the call ... with some slight denial heehee

  9. I remember The Twelve Tribes catching my eye back when it came out and then I forgot about it! Will be interested to hear your thoughts.

  10. I've been hearing great things about The Fireman! I can't wait to get my hands on it. Recently, Kitchens of the Great Midwest caught my eye and it was a great time.

  11. My current library stack at home contains:
    Chew Vol. 6: Space Cakes by John Layman
    Fables Vol. 15: Rose Red by Bill Willingham
    United by Cory Booker
    Artifact by Gigi Pandian
    Lumberjanes Vol. 2 by Noelle Stevenson
    A Gentleman's Game by Greg Rucka

    And I have holds on
    The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell
    Kitchen Cofidential by Anthony Bourdain

    And I'm reading
    Only Time Will Tell by Jeffrey Archer.

    Knowing me I'll end up picking something totally different off my shelves next.

    I really need to win the lottery so I can quit my job and read full time.

  12. Agggh too many things! Even more pressing, all my library holds have been leaping at me in the form of all arriving at once. So many books! So few hours in the day! I'm reading this book about pit bulls and their mythos in America, which is super interesting, and this other one about taste algorithms. Learning so many things.

  13. I am in a slump. I read a book all week and only made it 100 pages. So, I decided to put it aside until I am in a different mood and try something else. I read a few Marvel comics and will likely finish my current audiobook today, but for some reason this time of year and reading never connects for me.

  14. Twelve tribes of Hattie is on my TBR. And I have heard Aya is really good. Do pick it up

  15. I have so many books calling my name right now, but since I'm dedicated to Big Books this summer, it's going to be impossible to get to all the ones I want to.


Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik