Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Summer Favorites: Outdoors, Makeup, and Stuff


I need a fun post; how about you? Here are a few things I'm loving right now because...summer.

Since we've taken up kayaking, David and I are both using the No Limits Waterproof Phone Cases we bought from Academy. I had my doubts about these actually being waterproof, but they really work. There are several levels of "locking" mechanisms to keep the water out, and you can still use your touch screen and take pictures through the case. Best part? They were only $6.99.

I am in looooove with my Lane Bryant Livi Active Molded Underwire Sport Bras! You'll have to follow the link to those because, as it turns out, I'm not a very good bra photographer. I have two of these, and they are life changing. I've actually abandoned my regular bras for these because they're so comfy, and I don't mind the edges peeking out from under summer tanks. They look a little pricy at $44ish a pop, but for a really quality sport bra with lots of control, that's pretty average. If you're still not sold, Lane Bryant has regular buy one, get one 1/2 off sales and significant coupons. I managed to get two of these, three pairs of workout pants, and two workout tops for the cost of one bra with a sale plus a $25 off $75 coupon a while back. 

I'm all about skincare, and I have extremely dry skin, so even summer is about staying hydrated for me. After I've showered and washed my face after my workout in the mornings, I like to cleanse with my Clean and Clear face wash for sensitive skin, and a couple of times a week I'll slather on the Peter Thomas Roth Blue Marine Algae Intense Hydrating Mask. This is a really light, clear-on-the-face gel formula that feels fresh and cooling. It only stays on for five minutes or so and then give it a rinse. It makes my skin feel so good.

I got this mask in a Sephora Favorites Quench Your Skin set (no longer available but they usually have similar sets online), and while I haven't decided if I'll purchase a full size, I did look it up and it costs $52 for 5oz. That really is a fairly spectacular deal since a little of this product goes a long way. I'm pretty sure it would take the better part of a year or more of regular use to use a full 5oz.

I don't wear makeup nearly as much as I used to because I don't leave the house as often since I work from home. I still love makeup, for sure, but I don't feel compelled to put it on every day when I'm hanging out at home. However, I do wear makeup most nights that I teach, and I have a new favorite foundation combination.

I like my It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ cream with SPF 50, but it's a touch too light for me right now. I've been mixing a half pump with a half pump of the Too Faced Born This Way foundation in the "nude" shade on the back of my hand. I dot it onto my face and blend it in with a damp sponge, and it gives the most gorgeous, natural medium coverage. It looks really healthy and fresh for summer. No cakey heaviness here.

When I first started using Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment, which seems to be a beauty fave on YouTube, I really didn't get the hype, but this summer has turned my opinion around. This is a plain lip balm with SPF 15, and the $24 price tag is steep for a lip balm (note: I'm using a sample tube that came with a Sephora order). Why do I enjoy it now? It has good staying power, I love the citrus scent, and it doesn't put a taste of sunscreen in my mouth. It has really come in handy while spending time outside in the blistering Texas heat. My lips would stay chapped, parched, and flaky without this stuff. I've also tried thRosé version which is lightly tinted and like it, too.











12 comments:

  1. I had that Fresh Sugar lip thing and left it in the car. Sadness when it melted all over.

    That case works at only $7? I really liked my kayaking experience at camp the other week but I left my phone on the dock with a friend so I wouldn't chance it. Of course, I rented the kayak by the hour and then had no way of telling time. I need a nice sports watch too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Fresh Sugar balm melts way too easily. Ugh! And the case was so surprising for the price!

      Delete
  2. Have you ever tried the Origins Drink Up mask? It is wonderful. My skin type is different from yours but during the winter I do get a bit more dry and that is just so nice. I still haven't tried the Born This Way Foundation but want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't! I don't think I've tried anything from Origins, though I'd really like to. I have one Origins product in my current Sephora Faves box that the Peter Thomas Roth mask came out of. And of course I just checked and the Origins product in that box IS THE DRINK UP MASK! What luck! I can't wait to try it now!

      Delete
  3. Of course I'm most thrilled to read about the makeup in this post. ;) That's not to say your waterproof phone cases and sports bras aren't awesome, too!

    I've decided I'm going to stick with BB cream for now because I'm still not totally convinced I need something higher coverage. I picked up Physicians Formula Super BB over my birthday, and I'm not *totally* in love. Then again, I've only worn it two or three times, so time will tell. Also, everyone and their mom raves about the Fresh Sugar treatments. I'm feeling particularly thrifty these days, as I'm about to become a poor graduate student, but maybe I'll treat myself sometime.

    Glad you've got things making you happy this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From seeing your skin on your respective social channels, you really probably don't need foundation. The up side is that it does last forever if you're working on a lighter coverage with a sponge (that's mostly what I do because natural). But yeah, BB is probably the way to go. I'm just about out of my Ponds and since it's discontinued I'm on the hunt for something new. There have been quite a few new drugstore BBs popping up on YouTube so I'm gonna give something a try. As for the Fresh Sugar, they are highhhh. They do come out with a five balm set around the holidays that would probably be a better deal than one full-size balm.

      Delete
  4. definitely need to check out those bras!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finding a good sports bra = life-changing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved reading your favourites. I'm like you - very into skincare. More so than makeup. I should do a post like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE Lane Bryant's sports bras. I really really need the underwire! Lol. I need to stock up on some, the ones I have are a bit older and don't fit as well anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik