Monday, August 15, 2016

I've Been Planning, Y'all!

Many, many moons ago...like, 1999...I was an art major. I took art in middle and high school, and I was pretty sure I wanted to be a graphic designer. As a teen, I loooooved designing stuff. I spent hours and hours on my home computer designing avatars for this new CHAT thing you could do online, and I also started teaching myself web design. Sadly, when I got into college, got into my courses, and got an internship, I realized that corporate design is a life-sucking drag, stopped designing, and changed my major to English.

I had lunch with Anita from Anita Loves Books a couple of weeks ago, and we always have a wonderful time chatting about family and makeup and this time...planners! She brought her Erin Condren Life Planner, and while I've always loved planners and paper goods, it was the first moment that I thought to myself, "STICKERS....PRETTY!" I bought myself a Happy Planner the next day and started my sticker and washi tape stash at Michael's and Hobby Lobby.

Last week's planner layout. A brain explosion...with stickers. 
In true Andi-is-over-the-top-about-new-hobbies style, I also purchased a Silhouette Cameo cutting machine, and I'm making my own stickers. So...many...stickers. Functional ones, pretty full boxes, groovy patterned half boxes, wee tiny mini icons. AND I LOVE IT.

A sheet of wee tiny miniature icons for my planner. One of the first really challenging sheets I've put together. It worked!
That old designery spark is back, thanks to the I CAN DO ANY DAMN THING I WANT'ness of it. I've been watching tutorials, downloading images, drawing, and practicing my hand lettering. I borrowed a Wacom tablet so I can draw freely in my design program, and it is ON!

It's a good feeling to have this creative juice since books just haven't been providing that outlet lately.

30 doodles every day! It's hard work getting back into the swing of drawing and thinking outside the box.
In a short time, I've found that I'm a "white space planner," I prefer a "plan as you go" style, and I really admire planners who are super creative with their layouts, style, design, and approach to planning. I'm linking a video from Jenny of StickWithMeShop, the first shop I've ordered stickers from, since I really love her style.

So as not to overwhelm you all, I've started a separate planning Instagram account at @estellaplans. I also have a Twitter, but it's a pain in the ass, so I'll probably just bug you all via my regular Twitter account.

17 comments:

  1. I have a Desire Map Planner. I use lots of stickers and cool pens. I heart my planner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to look into the Desire Map Planner, Hillary. Sounds like it might be similar to the Spark Journal I use!

      Delete
  2. Perhaps you could try bullet journals. It's a very simple but addictive concept. I'm a great fan, and this coming from a person who was hopeless at keeping any kind of organiser or planner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Elizabeth! I will definitely give bullet journaling a go. I have a notebook waiting for me. I have a hard time wrapping my head around what kinds of layouts will work best for me organizationally, so I'm drawing inspiration from videos and blogs.

      Delete
  3. I'm with you on the white space planning. I've tried a few no white space weeks and while it's fun to put down all the stickers it is SO not functional for me.

    Have you watched any of RubyTev's videos yet? I think you'd like her plan as I go style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want some stickers, but I still find sticker purchasing overwhelming! I probably should print off my own but first I need ink. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want a planner like that but don't know if I'll go the decorating route or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! So glad to see a fellow sticker lover. Most people look at my covered planner and think I'm crazy. I'm on a sticker buying break for a looong time though since I went way overboard and was obsessed when I first got into it at the end of last year - oops! Lol.

    I have some stickers from Stick With Me - she has some of the cutest ones out there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a Simplified Planner this year a daily and although it's adorable and I love the spiral bound format, I do not love the daily format. I thought that this might be an issue with me. I was always a monthly girl but decided that I needed more writing space which is why I ended up with a daily. BUT, I need to at least see my week at a glance so for 2017 I bought a Passion Planner. Totally different from what I had but smaller and more portable which was another issue with the Simplified Planner. I LOVE the look of the Happy Planner but I am so hard on my planners. Is the disc format holding up for you? I feel as if it will fall apart if I get my hands on one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always been into planners but I've been blown away by all the creativity that I've seen nowadays! How do you like the Silhouette Cameo? I've been wanting one of those for a while. Aren't stickers fun? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I googled the "white space planner" idea and I totally don't see it. All those stickers don't look like white space! I find it all incredibly chaotic. My little bullet journal is all blue or black ink, with the occasional, very rare, dark purple. I have black and white washi tape along the edges of my fitness tracking log page(s) and that's it! (and honestly, what I like about the tape is the thickness it adds, not the print.) I'm not being critical intentionally, I swear, I just get overwhelmed by the colors and patterns and don't see how you can keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the key to planning is to find what works for you and it sounds like you've really found your groove! I had a planner with boxes last year and used it religiously for about two months and then it became one more thing to feel guilty about not keeping up with regularly. I am super curious about the Silhoette Cameo, though. I'm a NUT for crafty supplies. Everytime I go to Hobby Lobby or JoAnn I'm tempted to pick up a new obsession. Gold Foil machines? OMG!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you jump into new things with such enthusiasm and joy. It's contagious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, so much fun! I ordered a Passion Planner after I got into graduate school, and I'm really excited to dive into it once the box it's in finally arrives here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Planning is fun and relaxing, but I do find all of the stickers overwhelming. I'm happy with my Staedtler pens adding color and maybe some washi to fill the white space at the end of a page when I don't have enough room to start a new day. It works for me at least.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik