Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Yesternight: The Book That Broke the Cycle

Out of the blue, Heather texted to ask if I have an Audible account. I usually use my husband's, but she said she wanted to send over an audiobook that might bust my slump.

In walked Yesternight by Cat Winters. Most assuredly, it did bust my slump. Or at least I think so. I finished it, which is more than I can say for any book since August.

In 1925, Alice Lind--a professionally serious, liberated woman--works as a psychologist administering IQ tests in rural Oregon schools. When she steps off the train in Gordon Bay, her life takes a turn. She meets Janie O'Daire, a seven year old girl who insists she's lived a past life. Insofar as a seven year old can insist that. Her parents are concerned and her father brings Alice to town under the guise of testing everyone. As a woman in a man's field, investigating, attempting to confirm a reincarnation case, could seriously damage her credibility. What to do?

The story is compelling from the first, but the real winner here is the audiobook narrator, Xe Sands. Her voice performance is STUNNING. So much emotion, such a range of characters. Love, love, love.

The book left me spooked at times, always interested, and genuinely intrigued. Heather and I had to do some discussing of the ending. Good stuff!




14 comments:

  1. I was really enjoying that book until the last 40-50 pages. It went totally off the rails for me. But I liked the writing enough that I'm interested in reading more Cat Winters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I love me a good audio book and this is going on my must read wish list. I just finished Behind Closed Doors (B.A. Paris), which I loved in spite of the subject matter. Great audio with a great reader! Now I'm in a slump. Can't seem to settle on anything that can hold my attention for more than 5 minutes. I'm off to listen to a sample of this. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yayyyyyy for slump-busting! I hope you find more wonderful books soon that will continue the slump's being busted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great! I don't think that sharing thing is available yet in Canada. We live under a rock for EVERYTHING. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Cat Winters' last book and thought it had a lot of strengths so I'm definitely curious about this one -- more so since it seems to be rocking people's socks off. It's nice when a book that everyone can get excited about comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay - this is great!! I just bought this one and now I'm so excited to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVED this book. That ending!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! We rejoined the gym, and I signed up for Audible again. Gone With the Wind is my current obsession...at 50 hours, it would take WAY too long to listen just there - so I'm listening at work too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know the book but sounds interesting.
    I'm glad you managed to finish it, hope great reads are waiting for you now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The second review of this I've read today! SO interested.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leave it to Heather to find the right book for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, this does sound good! I'm so excited for you that you found a slump buster :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was a really enjoyable read and I would recommend this novel to readers of paranormal, historical fiction, and mystery.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik