Monday, November 14, 2016

No Snappy Titles Here

Post-election...

I'm doing a lot of listening. To people of color, the LGBTQ+ community, immigrants. In truth, I'm doing a lot of listening to Trump voters, too. This mix of individuals is in my college classroom every day. We all live in this fray.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I feel as a white middle class American, it's my job to tackle white middle class America. It's time to talk (and protest and act)...online AND off. Screaming on Facebook is not doing the work.

White Women, You Need to Talk About Racism

Marco Rogers

Justina Ireland

What So Many People Don't Get About the US Working Class

#transvoices: Celebrating transgender changemakers

How to Make Your Congressman Listen to You

Janani The Shrinkette

Read Diverse Books

Florinda's post-election reading list

Marlon James

Shaun King

Siyanda Mohutsiwa

Kamala Harris

@AngryBlackLady

A Confession of Liberal Intolerance

@jpbrammer











7 comments:

  1. These are all so important, and thank you for posting. I'm with you on tackling white middle class America. There's so much to be done and much to be said to so many people. <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you. Not as a white middle-class woman, but as someone who is pretty tired of all discussions about race in America somehow reverting to whiteness and how whites must always feel coddled and safe while it's ok for everyone else to not feel safe.

    So thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly thought I was pretty clued in before this election but found that I had not sought out and listened to enough diverse voices and viewpoints to be an effective ally and activist. I am attempting to remedy this and what I have done in the last week has already changed me, I hope for the better and for good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took a few days to mourn and rage, but then I started thinking about what we could do. I bought my son a TON of books on diversity and other important issues (and then wrote a post on it, made my sporadic Planned Parenthood contributions a monthly thing, and have been making sure my students know my classroom is a safe place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing these links, Andi. I especially appreciate the one about how to make your congressman listen. You're are so right about screaming at Facebook. I've decided that no matter what I say on FB about the election, I'm either a) preaching to the choir or b) pissing off my conservative friends. I've hidden and unfriended more people this week than any other time since I joined. I'm tired and angry and scared, especially with the news about Bannon. In other news, we're heading to TX for Thanksgiving. We're driving down, so keep that sun shining for us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm Twitter friends with Emily, so I was watching when she posted about making congressmen listen and then had her day of fame for it. :) Thanks for posting that and other useful links. Sounds like Les and I are on the same page. I've been avoiding FB, except when I need to get on to contact someone or load photos (I have no idea how to directly upload photos from my phone to the computer, so I just send them to myself on FB and then load from there - sounds weird, but it works) because I'm afraid I'm just going to just end up doing a mass unfriending if I stick around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As another white lady who also wants to do more than argue on facebook, thanks for these links. Will explore them all.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik