Thursday, December 15, 2016

#AMonthofFaves2016: 5 Fave “New to Me” Author Discoveries or Audiobook Narrations

2016 has been a great year for new-to-me authors, and it's been a pretty fine year for audio, too. All of these are new-to-me authors, and a couple were audiobooks as well.

Be sure to see what's cooking at Girlxoxo.com and TravelingWithT.com today!

The Regional Office is Under Attack! by Manuel Gonzales is FUUUUUUN and the women in this novel are Bad. Ass.

Lab Girl by Hope Jahren is one of the books I was listening to when my massive slump began. Sadly, I laid the book aside, but it did NOT deserve that kind of treatment, and I will be returning to it shortly. Jahren writes--and reads--so passionately about her life in science.

Yesternight by Cat Winters was a rollicking good time. A historical novel with a reincarnation twist. It was excellent ear candy.

Mr. Splitfoot by Samantha Hunt was one of the first books I read in 2016 and it still stands out in my mind as one of the best reading experiences of the year....creepy, atmospheric, intriguing.

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo was quite a surprise since I'm usually not much for YA fiction, but this fantasy novel scratched the itch.

Be sure to share your choices here!

 

14 comments:

  1. I'm cueing up Mr. Splitfoot on audio now. Glad to see you like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! I hope it's fantastic on audio. It seems like it would be really well suited to that format.

      Delete
  2. I listened to a sample of Lab Girl and it didn't grab me so I thought I might pursue it in print. Now I'm thinking I should listen to it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a minute to get into. The chapters alternate between her personal stories and more scientific (but still poetic) overviews of scientific phenomena that fascinate her. Just loved that.

      Delete
  3. I've been on my library's hold list for months and months and months for Lab Girl. I think I'm getting close, though, maybe number 3? Glad to hear you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, Sarah!

      Marisa, accents are the best, aren't they?! Yay!

      Delete
  4. I've been listening to more audio as well and find the narrators with accents the best salve for my reading slumpiness. I'll have to check these out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read Shadow and Bone twice and still never read the sequels. lol Maybe one day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to go on and spring for the next book. I would get it from the library, but I think it's a series I'd like to own!

      Delete
  6. I loved Lab Girl in print! It was a great read. I've heard her speaking a few times and I'm not sure she would be a person to read a book, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen her speak, but her reading on the audiobook was lovely. She's so passionate about what she's reading that she actually gets choked up a few times. Loved that sincere emotion!

      Delete
  7. Oh yeah, Mr. Splitfoot. I have that on my Nook and have been meaning to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik