Friday, December 02, 2016

#AMonthofFaves2016: Popular Books Worth the Hype

The year started off with a bang, but my reading has been nearly nil since August. I blame it on the election, thankyouverymuch. Looking back at my books read this year there are a lot of winners. Thank goodness this prompt didn't ask specifically for books that are popular NOW.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. I REALLY struggled with this in print, but it was just the fast-pasted escapism I needed on audio.

The Vegetarian by Han Kang. So weird, so good, so much to ponder and discuss.

We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I need to re-read this quarterly.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling. This is an audiobook winner from the April Readathon. Kaling's self-deprecating humor is just so good. I want to be her friend.

The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez. I literally want to give this to all my neighbors in hopes of growing some extra empathy in my town.

Check out Tamara and Tanya Patrice's faves, too! Link your own post down below!

 

10 comments:

  1. Glad to hear Book of Unknown Americans is great - it's been on my TBR list forever and I'd love to get to it soon...let's see if that actually happens - ha!
    And I read We Should All Be Feminists last week....I think, though I've never considered myself one, that I actually am a feminist based on that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! We Should All Be Feminists has been on my list forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only read Ready Player One. It was out of my comfort zone but I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ready Player One was so good. I read Armada earlier this year and it wasn't as good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I *loved* BOOK OF UNKNOWN AMERICANS so hard!! I cried and cried! And READY PLAYER ONE I read three times - so far! Ha! Can't wait for the film. THE VEGETARIAN was okay, as was Mindy's book. And WE SHOULD ALL BE FEMINISTS should be on everyone's mandatory reading list! What a great book list, Andi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good call with the audiobook format for Ready Player One. I recently got a new job about 40 minutes away from home and I'm actually excited about the commute so I can listen to audiobooks now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still haven't listened to Ready Player One because it is ALWAYS checked out from the library when I'm looking for an audiobook. RUDE.

    Love Mindy, love her audiobook.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'm the only person on the planet that did not like The Vegetarian! But I loved Ready, Player One too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Several of these are on my TBR list for sure! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, Ready Player One is one of my all-time favorite audio books! I hope the movie is just as good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik