Sunday, January 01, 2017

2017 Begins: First Book and Goals

David is gone to pick up the boy from his dad, and I've taken the morning to have a coffee and breakfast date with him and my mom. Homemade biscuits and gravy. It doesn't get any better.

Now that I'm home, I'm cleaning a metric ton of stuff out of our master closet and bedroom proper. Since I use a corner of the master as my home office, I'm especially annoyed when it gets cluttered, and it's been cluttered for a good year. I know, I'm telling you all my secrets. So far I've lightened my wardrobe by three trash bags full, and this week I'll take them to a local thrift store that supports a domestic violence shelter.

The bedroom is just the beginning. Greyson's room and closet need a thorough tidying, and we have an extra closet in the main part of the house that needs a good pick through. I'm looking at everything, really. Do I still enjoy that knickack that's been gathering dust? Am I ever going to use anything in this junk drawer?

I recently watched the documentary, Minimalism, and while it wasn't that great, it did get me in a lather to clean up and clean out. After the bedroom...my "favorites" bookshelves. If I won't re-read it or teach it, it goes!

The first day of 2017, like the beginning of every year, feels like an opportunity for new beginnings. Another chance to do better, be better, live purposefully. My goals, both reading-related and otherwise, seem simpler this year, though no less important:

  • Learn
  • Make things
  • Help
  • Curate
  • Do more
  • Purchase less
My "one word" for this year, as I've mentioned before, is assurance. I will give it and accept it. 

My first book of the year ties in with my goals and my one word. 


I'm looking so forward to cracking the proverbial spine on Hope in the Dark by Rebecca Solnit. Just as soon as I'm done cleaning. 

Happy new year, friends. 





12 comments:

  1. Hey, you're doing a great job cleaning out your wardrobe, and I'm sure other people will find something to use out of the stuff that you don't use anymore -- so it's a win/win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, and good luck with the purge ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw your picture in the First Book of the Year collage and was like 'I bet that is Andi's' So happy I was right. lol Good luck with the purge. I have been purging, too, actually. I just cleaned off the shelves in my laundry room and they look much better. I didn't really get rid of anything because it was all useful stuff, but just rearranged it to make it look like less of an eye-sore. :) Have a great 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, Andi! I hope you have a wonderful year ahead. I'm tackling some a major organization effort in my studio. Good luck tackling the rest of your home sounds like you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good start to 2017. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy new year, Andi! I love your word of the year and your goals too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I literally feel lighter after a good purging; it makes everyday living so much easier when things are tidy, there's not so much stuff you can't find things, and you don't have things sitting around that make you unhappy. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm definitely feeling the urge to purge. I have some closets and drawers that are full to bursting. And now that we're heading toward having a little more daylight up here in Seattle, my energy for these types of projects is coming back. Here's wishing you success in everything you do this year, Andi!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great start to the year. Less clutter always means less stress (at least for me).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely goals - I like how they are succinct but open to interpretation and flexibility.

    My first book of the year is Isabel Wilkerson's The Warmth of Other Suns. It's actually a holdover from last year as I did not finish it before the end of the year. It's just so well-written and excellent (and one from my TBR, woohoo). I think you would like it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, it's awesome that you donated your stuff to a place that benefits a domestic violence shelter. I currently do most of my donations to the local homeless shelter, but there's also a thrift store in town like yours that benefits the DV folks, and they're always THE NICEST when you donate stuff to them. Yay for decluttering! It feels amazing, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad so many people are talking about Hope in the Dark because I feel like it's something I need to read. This post gave me the kick in the pants to actually put it on hold at the library. Happy New Year, Andi. I am so glad we are all fighting in the ways that we can.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik