Monday, January 09, 2017

Monday Reading and Bout of Books Wrap-Up

It was a good week of reading, though per usual I didn't read as much as I would've liked. That's always the case with readathons, isn't it? Our book gluttony reaches new heights, though our proverbial stomachs are never as big as our eyes. That's my story of Bout of Books.

Finished

Princess Jellyfish 01 (omnibus) by Akiko HigashimuraI have a tendency to refer to this as my "first manga" though that's not the truest. I had to read another one in grad school, but that was something crazy like 10 years ago (!!!) so I feel like I'm starting over. This is the first manga I've read of my own volition! This omnibus edition had something like 12 or 13 issues in it, and I looooooved it. It's about Tsukimi is a nerdy young woman who lives in an apartment building full of fellow woman-geeks. She's obsessed with jellyfish and in the beginning of this collection a beautiful, stylish woman who she finds completely intimidating, helps her save a dying jellyfish from a pet store. Turns out that stylish woman is a man who cross dresses as a hobby. There's a specific Japanese term for this in the book but I'm having no luck finding it and Google is letting me down. Hold that thought. I will definitely be reading the rest of this series. It was funny and silly and charming and just delightful. (#ReadMyOwnDamnBooks)

Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance: I have a complicated relationship with this book. I'll just tell you that I did enjoy it, and I rated it 3 stars on Goodreads. Don't be confused...for me that's not a bad rating. It's a good rating, though I couldn't give it 4 because of those mixed feelings I mentioned.

Still Reading

Fervent by Priscilla Shirer: This is a Christian living book about prayer and it's specifically focused on women in prayer. Still undecided about this one. I'm working through it in the workbook style the book intends, but I don't know about Shirer's delivery.

Hope in the Dark by Rebecca Solnit: Goooood book. I'm taking it slow--one chapter at a time--because for a small book I do find there is a lot to absorb. It's one of those books, in fact, that I'd like to read each chapter twice before moving on. Greyson asks me, "Mom, what did you just write in that book?" a lot.

The Turner House by Angela Flournoy: A family story set in Detroit, the 13 Turner children must decide the fate of their family home as their mom ages and loses her independence. Love the alternating perspectives in this one, even though that's something that generally annoys me. I feel equally invested in each family member and love Flournoy's writerly voice. (#ReadMyOwnDamnBooks)

Starting

Searching for Sunday by Rachel Held Evans: Another spiritual growth type book, this one is also a lot memoir. Evans is a progressive, doubting Christian and I sooooo appreciate her point of view. She reads the audiobook, and I love it so far. 

What are you reading? 


8 comments:

  1. It's so interesting to see different people's interpretations of different ratings. For me, a 3 = "not painful to get through, but wouldn't recommend it to others and won't recommend it on the blog."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh RHE reads her audiobook?! Yay! I love her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To this day I haven't read a single work of manga. I have been feeling proud of myself because I watched my first anime this year, Yuri on Ice! Maybe manga can be next and I can feel properly well-rounded. :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I should get Rebecca Solnit's books. hm. I am trying to buy less books this year, but I am seeing that one everywhere. And I have been meaning to read her... *wanders off to amazon*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was not necessarily a fan of Hillbilly Elegy either. I struggled with his overarching message and took it as too simplistic and bootstrap-ish when I know the problems are much more complicated than he says. I have issues with the fact that his book has become an anthem of sorts for understanding the blue collar rage against the Democrats. The holes in his arguments are too big to ignore, and he completely disregards prejudice in all of its forms. But it is an entertaining, feel-good story so it sells well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My book club has picked Hillbilly Elegy for our next read, and it has 2393053982430 holds at the library (this might be a slight exaggeration), so I'm glad to know of your mixed feelings since I probably won't get to read it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOOOOVE Rachel Held Evans; I'm so glad you're enjoying this one. I borrowed the book from the library; now that I know she narrates the audio version, I'm going to get a copy and listen to it since it's been awhile. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Princess Jellyfish looks like lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik