Sunday, January 29, 2017

#ReadSoulLit 2017


In honor of Black History Month--February here in the US--my friend Didi from Brown Girl Reading is hosting #ReadSoulLit. The hashtag is active all year long, so there are tons of reading recommendations floating around out on the Internets. Didi is also running an Instagram #ReadSoulLit photo challenge during February, so don't miss it!

These are the books I have in mind to read, but things change constantly. It's fun to see what the actual end result turns out to be.

Bedrock Faith by Eric Charles May - This is the readalong choice for #ReadSoulLit, so come on over and join the Goodreads group for discussion.
Women, Culture, and Politics by Angela Y. Davis - I'm reading this o
+-ne along with Aarti, Ana, and Iris. Looking forward to discussing my first book from Angela Y. Davis.
Welcome to Braggsville by T. Geronimo Johnson (#ReadMyOwnDamnBooks) - Has been on my e-reader for too long. Defintiely ready to dig in.
Like Trees, Walking by Ravi Howard (#ReadMyOwDamnBooks) - Second verse, same as the first. Another book that's been lounging on my e-reader.
Building a Movement to End the New Jim Crow by Daniel Hunter (#ReadMyOwnDamnBooks) - I found this one on sale, and while I haven't read The New Jim Crow, I'm diving right into this book on activism and organizing.
Zone One by Colson Whitehead (#ReadMyOwnDamnBooks) - Another too-long-on-the-ereader novel, and I have yet to read anything of Colson Whitehead's.
Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward (#ReadMyOwnDamnBooks) - I definitely need more physical books, and this one is at the tippy top of my #ReadMyOwDamnBooks list.

I hope you'll join in for #ReadSoulLit! Only good things to come.


9 comments:

  1. I hope you've been enjoying the Diversathon! I didn't get a chance to participate but looking forward to ReadSoulLit. Thank you for letting us know about it and going over to Didi's blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looooooved it! So many great books read. More than I thought I could get to in a week for sure. Enjoy #ReadSoulLit! I think we're gonna get into some really good stuff.

      Delete
  2. I need to read Salvage the Bones. Have read Zone One & loved it. I need to do #readsoullit and #diversathon. Also, on my agenda, start a revolution....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'M SO SCARED OF SALVAGE THE BONES. Because I am a giant weenie when it comes to dogs in books. So there. lol So glad to know you loved Zone One! I'm right there with you for the revolution.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, what a great idea! Have you read The Warmth of Other Suns? If not, I know it's a chunkster, but it reads so well and would be a great choice for Black History Month.

    And OF COURSE we have Angela Davis to read together :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the wishlist The Warmth of Other Suns goes! I've eyeballed it over the years, but with your endorsement, it goes right to the top. :) I CANNOT WAIT to dive into Davis's work! My book shipped yesterday.

      Delete
  4. I'm participating in #ReadSoulLit too. I really enjoyed Salvage the Bones, it was a heart wrenching story. I just recently discovered you through Didi and I am loving all of your book goodness that you share! I agree with Aarti, The Warmth of Other Suns is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment, Monica! So glad you're in for #ReadSoulLit, and I am really glad to know you enjoyed Salvage the Bones. It's the book I most want to read but that I'm so afraid is going to hurt my heart so intensely, I repeatedly flake out. Can't wait to try out The Warmth of Other Suns! <3

      Delete
  5. Salvage The Bones is so damn good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik