Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Four Books That Were Good Enough in January

I read 13 books in January, and if that isn't rallying after a slump, I don't know what is. But I'm not here to talk about all the books I read, or even the best books I read. I'm here to talk about the "good enough" books. The ones that I enjoyed, but they didn't blow my socks all the way off for reasons. Why? Because I have more to say about them right this second.


Fervent by Priscilla Shirer - I needed a book about prayer, and I was interested in this one for Shirer's strong, straight-talk approach. While I liked it, and I found it helpful to work through it workbook style, it didn't move me as much as I'd hoped. I will use it as a reference going forward, though.



March: Book One by John Lewis, et al - I know this is a sacrilege. I love John Lewis, I love this book as the beginning of a series, but I reserve my 5-star reviews for the later volumes. I wanted much more.



Hope in the Dark by Rebecca Solnit - This book is as important and moving and motivational as everyone says, but it also gets repetitive and drags in the middle. I definitely favored the earlier and later essays.


Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance - Eh. This book was a whole lot like rehashing a bunch of stuff I already know because of where I live. I think it would be eye-opening to people who haven't spent significant time in poor, rural areas.

14 comments:

  1. You had quite an impressive month, Andi! I really need to make time to read John Lewis' graphic novels. I think I've been saying that for several months now! Thanks for the reminder. Hope your good reading vibes continue this month, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The graphic novels are definitely quick, involving reads. I got teary in spots!

      Delete
  2. Haha - you and I had similar months. And "good enough" is a perfect description for that kind of book.

    I hear you about Hillbilly Elegy...it was more eye-opening for me, but I can see how it's old news for someone with more experience with poor, rural areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I feel SO compelled to read WHITE TRASH. It's freaking huge, but I think it's more in the vein of what I'm looking for.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a great reading month! I read Volume 1 of March and agree. I just never got a chance to read the sequels because Scribd never added them. Now I have my own shiny copies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I can't wait to find out what you think of them!

      Delete
  4. Thirteen books! That is busting out of a slump! Hard to have all of them be great and I suppose if you got something out of these then they weren't a total loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! Not total losses at all. Sometimes I find the "good enough" books frustrating because I want to have my socks blown off, but not every book can do that.

      Delete
  5. I kind of felt the same way, at times, about Hillbilly Elegy, but I think having someone who has lived to tell about explain it to others can be helpful. I listened to the audiobook version, which the author narrates, and I really enjoyed it. I, too, got stuck in the middle of Hope in the Dark; I guess I need to finish it - ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you. It definitely adds credibility that JD Vance has lived that life. I really enjoyed the audio as well. At the end of the day, I wanted something more data driven, so I think I'll try WHITE TRASH next! But it's huuuuuuge! Definitely try getting back to Hope in the Dark. If nothing else, the last two essays BLEW my socks off!

      Delete
  6. Thirteen books in January, well done! You are a reading champ!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed all three of the March graphic novels and I'm pretty sure I gave them all 4 or 5 stars, even though there were times I couldn't quite figure out what was going on. There was no such thing as Black History Month when we were in school. I'm thinking I need to work harder at reading black history. The March books were a good start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, congrats on a great reading month!

      Delete
    2. I really waffled on how to rate March. I was right on the edge of a 4, but it just didn't give me the feeling I thought it would. But like I said, I think it will intensify as I move forward reading them. Now that you mention it, I don't think Black History Month happened for me in school until later on. We still didn't read enough even after the teachers had introduced it.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik