Sunday, May 28, 2017

20 Books for Summer, but More Like 13

Sometimes grabbing a stack of books off my shelves and limiting the overwhelming number of choices REALLY works for me. Sometimes it fails hardcore. We'll see what happens this summer. I saw Amanda's post, 20 Books for Summer, and thought it sounded like a dandy idea.

I also recently posted on Book Riot, and here, about my most recent cull. I have about 100 unread books left in my house, so choosing this bunch wasn't too difficult. I like it. I also didn't see 20 that appealed to me right now, so I did 13. Hey, arbitrary numbers.


What might I want to read this summer? 
  • The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon. This is the book that prompted me to do The Massive Cull. I wanted it. I didn't realize I had it. Decided it was time to KNOW. 
  • Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo. I loved the first book in this series, hard, and I rarely love YA fantasy series. 
  • The World Without Us by Alan Weisman. I've been dipping in and out of this one. 
  • My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante. I've wanted to start the Neapolitan novels for a while, so I picked this one up when I was selling 100 or so books to the used bookstore earlier in the weekend. 
  • Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. This is one of the penultimate running books. It caused a sensation when it came out, as far as I can tell. I'm interested! 
  • Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut. Slaughterhouse just doesn't appeal to me and I sold it. 
  • The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie. I've wanted to read more of his stuff, and short stories seemed like the thing. 
  • Women, Culture, and Politics by Angela Y. Davis. This group read fell prey to my slumpiness a few months ago, but I'm still SO interested in finishing it. 
  • Annabel by Kathleen Winter. Been on my TBR forever, and it's a survivor. 
  • Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour-Bookstore by Robin Sloan. My husband loved it. 
  • The Wild Swan and Other Tales by Michael Cunningham. I like him, and I like fairytales. I also like short books. 
  • Jane Eyre Laid Bare by Eve Sinclair. My curiosity is too much. 
  • Nation by Terry Pratchett. I got an ARC for it 10 years ago, and Heather has been after me to read it. 

 And if you're a literary voyer like me, here's a shot of my messy bookshelves and all that remains on them. These are the books I have left unread. Plus a lot of extra crap I need to tidy away.


Do you have any of your books prioritized for the near future? 

19 comments:

  1. Prioritizing books is my hobby! Jeff Vandermeer's Borne is at the top of the stack, and so is My Brilliant Friend. I pushed Tree of Smoke up to the very top of my stack after finishing Denis Johnson's amazing Jesus' Son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, I thought that might hit home! I don't think I've heard of Borne! I read the first book in the Southern Reach trilogy, but I haven't gone further with Vandermeer (yet). Give me time! Ha!

      Delete
  2. Good for you on culling books - I need to do that once again. Good luck with your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! I'm hoping having them all together will push me toward them. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  3. I like to make a reading list, but maybe if I took it a step further and put all the books on a shelf together, I'd be more successful at sticking to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to do that or they blend too much with all the other books. lol

      Delete
  4. I loved Born to Run...pretty fascinating stuff!
    And also loved Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore...super fun and different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks soooo fascinating! Really excited about it. And Mr. Penumbra! I've meant to read it for ages.

      Delete
  5. Born to Run is fantastic (and quick). It didn't convince me to run barefoot, but I loved reading about the different runners and their environments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quick is good when my mood is fickle! I doubt I'll be running barefoot any time soon, but the exploration and travel portion of it sounds amazing.

      Delete
  6. I've read 2 of your 13 - My Brilliant Friend, which did much less for me that it did for many others - and Mr. Penumbra, which I did enjoy. Robin Sloan is a Bay Area resident, and I got to see him at an event. Seems like a good guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry My Brilliant Friend didn't do much for you! It definitely seems like a commitment, and since this is the first book, maybe my hopes aren't super high? I dunno. Hopefully I like it, but I have no problem letting it go back into the wild if it doesn't work. lol Super cool that you got to see Sloan!

      Delete
  7. Finally plunged into the Neapolitan series and wow is it good. But now, when to make the time for the rest of the series! I always like some McMahon to pull me into a book big time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Glad to know you like!

      Delete
  8. I love that your list includes older titles. I always use summer to catch-up on my must-reads.

    Annabel. I really enjoyed that book but it is heavy and dark. Such great writing though.

    I need to make my own list. My brain is all over the place though. I may just do a video thing. I am so lazy. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been creating my summer reading stack, focusing on some of the many books of short stories I have around. I'll have to get a post written up soon! (Also, you HAVE to read Nation. I want to reread it soon but it might have to wait until next year.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm reading at random this summer. Right now I'm midway through Underground Railroad. It's wonderful.

    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I highly recommend Mr. Penumbra's. Sadly (or not) I didn't read the others...at least not yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven. Haven't read any of the others but you won't be surprised to find that I own two of them, The Winter People and My Brilliant Friend. I read about 150 pages of My Brilliant Friend but it was during last year's slumpy phase and I either got sidetracked or just let it slide. Loved what I read, although it's not a happy book. It's very character driven, which is generally not my favorite thing but I'll give it another go.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik