Thursday, June 08, 2017

On Deciding to Join Weight Watchers

After a particularly harrowing workout.
Well hi there. If you follow me on various and sundry social medias, you may have seen me discussing Weight Watchers! I took the plunge two weeks and one day ago after much consideration. In fact, I had never taken Weight Watchers seriously until about a year ago. That is, I didn't know enough about it to realize it's not a fad diet. I had that wrong idea in my head for many years.

About a year ago, I stumbled upon the Motivated Muffins YouTube channel. The vloggers, Sharie and Celia, are best friends on respective weight loss journeys and they vlog their lives and daily food choices. It's so interesting, and even when I wasn't on WW, I got a lot of great ideas for healthy things to eat that I might not have thought of before.

Here recently, I started to consider the idea of Weight Watchers for myself because I was struggling with food choices. I've been an overeater and an emotional eater all my life, but I've also had really good luck with eating "real food" and losing weight that way. Especially when I'm in the middle a full-blown exercise program like Couch to 5K.

Since I've been struggling emotionally--good ole anxiety and depression, wash, rinse, repeat--not only had my exercise tanked, but so did my food choices and my self-control. Stressed = snack for me. Or a too-big meal out. Or ice cream.

In addition to the Motivated Muffins, I've been SOOOO inspired and grateful to watch Jenna's WW journey on Instagram. I had to try it for myself!

I've been on the program for two weeks, and I had my second weekly weigh-in yesterday. I'm five pounds down, and while the first few days were really hard (SO HUNGRY), I've really leveled out, I've stocked the house with foods that are working for me, and I love it!

I find WW helpful because it depersonalizes food to some extent. I have a currency of points I can "spend" on daily eating. I kind of like the process of planning what I eat, really thinking about what I WANT to eat, what's worth the points, and by finding new things that I enjoy. It's also kind of fun to play with recipes and foods I know I like and discover a healthier version. Not all of the food I've tried has been a hit. There have been some real stinker recipes, in fact, but I've also found some stuff I really love, and I feel good about my choices.

Have there been struggles? God, yes. Last night was me against the urge to visit the McDonald's drive-thru, but I won that one.

I'll be back with more to share: recipes, struggles, workouts, etc. If you've been thinking about joining, I would recommend it!



27 comments:

  1. I took the plunge and joined Slimming World on Tuesday (same concept basically). We can cheer each other on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesssss! I would love that, Felicia!

      Delete
  2. I started doing MyFitnessPal almost a month ago with my sister and the accountability helps so so much. I'm sure it's the same with the Weight Watchers family. I also love budgeting out my food for the day and it does get easier and easier to do that. I'm a stress eater and gained so much weight the past year (yes, after I lost most of the baby weight), and I know it's got to change. I'll be looking forward to hearing more! I don't know very much about the point system or how it compares to MFP (which is basically just calories in and out).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Trish - I just started (re-started) using MyFitnessPal today.

      Delete
    2. I used MyFitnessPal for a while. I seem to remember the tracking being a little more difficult/more steps, but overall I like the idea. As far as I know, WW points are a little different from strict calorie counting in that they privilege fiber and protein. So essentially, you get more points to spend on high protein/fiber foods and take a bigger hit on sugar. Fruits and most veggies are "free" while I've really had to hunt for bread and tortillas that I like that are also low points. I mean, I didn't have to hunt THAT hard, thanks to recommendations I found online. lol Yay, interwebs! Good luck with MyFitnessPal! I'd love to hear more about how you like it as you go!

      Delete
  3. Good luck, Andi! I tried Weight Watchers when I graduated from business school and was at my heaviest weight. I didn't really stick with it, but my main takeaway was that I eat too many carbs (rice/pasta), and I have no real concept of serving size. I work a lot harder to moderate my carb intake now (though I still eat much more than other people, I think). I think it's a great program to reset yourself without being as extreme as many other diets.

    Best of luck :-) We're all here to cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serving size is SO HARD FOR ME. WW is helping with that, for sure. I also tend to eat mindlessly: finishing off what Greyson doesn't so it doesn't have to be thrown away, taking a bit of something I'm making for him without thinking. I don't think I even realized I was doing those things until I started tracking!

      Thank you for the cheers! Reset is a great way to put it!

      Delete
  4. I joined Weight Watchers a couple months a go. It has been a long hard road and I get so frustrated when i only lost one pound but I know I am changing the way I eat and I am FINALLY starting to make better choices. Like when I am really stressed I have started coloring. At first I was ookkkk how is this supposed to help? Then I realized that it really did take my mind off of things and food out of my grabby little hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss! It's so important to focus on and remember the life change aspect of it. It doesn't make it much easier in the moment, especially when the scale doesn't behave. I love that you've started coloring to manage stress! It's a good way for me to distract myself, too.

      Delete
  5. I know several people who were successful with Weight Watchers and I'm sure you will be too. I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always been dubious about weight watchers so I'm glad to hear it's working for you! I like the idea of being more thoughtful about what I eat too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! That's really what it's given me is a clearer understanding of what I'm putting in my body and how those choices add up!

      Delete
  7. good luck - I did it a few years ago, and lost several stone (then went sick, was put on steroids and put all the weight, and then some, back on). Never got back into it, but have recently started swimming again, and look to use that as my main execise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sorcha! Glad to hear you've found a swimming routine you like! I would LOVE that, but unfortunately no affordable pools in my area. Arrgh!

      Delete
  8. That's awesome and thrilled to hear it's going well for you so far! I've never done WW, but do love the concept of "is it worth the points/calories/whatever?" I kind of do that with bread baskets at restaurants. Is their bread warm, homemade, and delicious (i.e. totally worth it) or run of the mill and not worth it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I've basically sworn off Starbucks because I haven't found anything there that's even halfway acceptable points-wise that also tastes good enough to warrant the points. lol

      Delete
  9. I joined WW at the beginning of the year and it is the best! I have struggled with it though. I even fell off the wagon. But I am back on track and have to admit that I do feel great when I'm on it. I feel like I'm making smart choices about what I eat, instead of eating everything :) It is hard at times, especially recently when my anxiety and depression were getting the best of me. That never helps, but I accept that losing weight will be a struggle for me and I can do it - it will just take longer than I like. I'm so happy you joined WW and that you are liking it. I think you'll definitely benefit from it. Good luck!! And keep sharing your progress - its inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Nadia!I'm glad you like it and come back to it even when you struggle. This weekend was the first I went off the rails. We were camping and there was just no way for me to pack enough stuff to keep me on-plan for the weekend, so I ate what I wanted, tracked the monstrous amount of points, and I was actually really glad to be back on-plan today. I realize how much of what I ate this weekend is not "worth" the points but only done for convenience.

      Delete
  10. As someone who is in his late 60s, my metabolism ain't what it used to be. I've never done WW. But I have an ongoing battle with "watching what I eat." It sure isn't fun. So congrats on going after it. I particularly like your use of the phrase "depersonalizing food." I think that's a great description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not fun! "Depersonalizing" food is the best way I could think to say it, for sure. FOOD IS NOT LOVE! Or stress relief.

      Delete
  11. Anxiety, stress, depression and yummy treats are indeed a cyclical thing! I find myself turning to sweets for comfort, only to find I am anything but comforted. I applaud your Weight Watchers decision and the way you're sticking with it. I remember a great quote from a friend who was in the program: Nothing tastes as good as being thinner feels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen sister! Now if I can get my workout schedule in sync, I'll feel really good!

      Delete
  12. Weight Watchers was one of the only diets that ever really worked for me. I keep thinking I'll go back to it. I do like that the point system puts you in charge of what you want to eat and allows you to have whatever you want.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did WW for about a year or two and found it very helpful. It forced me to pick and choose what I wanted to eat rather than eating whatever was in front of me, and also I had to think a lot more when I ate out. It's also a good reminder that exercise is great but food intake matters. Right now I'm focused more on "clean eating" and low sugar, but I know I learned good lessons from the program. Also I appreciated the online option. Good luck with the program!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik