Monday, June 12, 2017

Monday Reading | Week of June 12

This past week was the steadiest bout of reading I've had in a long time.

FINISHED UP

I wrapped up The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin on Tuesday. I really loved the book. I liked the characters, the pace, the action and intrigue. I had some issues with the protagonist's actions, or lack thereof, at times, but it didn't change my feelings about the atmosphere, and I'm really excited to see what happens in the next volume of the series.

On Wednesday I whipped through And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer by Fredrik Backman. This little novella had me in tears by page 11. It's about a young boy and his grandfather who is beginning to experience dementia. His memory is fading, and Backman does a beautiful job exploring some fantastical metaphors associated with that transition. Just gorgeous.

Finally, on Saturday, I wrapped up Sex Object: A Memoir by Jessica Valenti. While I very much enjoyed the book and Valenti's writing, I haven't quite formulated my thoughts on it. I found myself doing a lot of highlighting of passages I want to revisit. Hopefully I'll get back to y'all with some ideas that are a little more gelled soon.

READING NOW

I picked up My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier (again) for a read-along with friends. Amanda mentioned reading it, and I asked to join her, and then Heather and Allie both jumped in. I read about 8 chapters of it a few months ago before my slump kicked in. I was really loving it then, so I don't think it'll take me long to finish it now.

I always have to have an e-book on the go on my phone or tablet so I have something to hold my attention in bed at night or when I'm stuck in a waiting room. Right now it's The Rules of Scoundrels #3--No Good Duke Goes Unpunished--by Sarah MacLean. I haven't read the books before this one but I'm willing to take a chance on trying them out of order.





I'ts Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted by The Book Date!

21 comments:

  1. I can't remember the specifics of that Sarah MacLean series, but apart from the final one, I think you'd be fine reading them out of order! Are you enjoying? I love her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I am enjoying it very much. I like the banter between the main characters a lot. I haven't gotten to read as much of it as I'd like to, but I think I'll be dipping in for a good while this afternoon when I'm done grading!

      Delete
  2. After loving Beartown (but not Ove), I'm trying to decide if I want to try another of Backman's books. I'd held off after Ove, but am now rethinking things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer would be a good one to try if you think you'd like to give him another chance. It's a novella at 79 pages, so you'd whip through it.

      Delete
  3. Pretty cover on the romance. The move is really happening. We have temporary housing squared away and most of our home library in storage now. Come see what I'm reading this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? Love the green! Good luck with your move!

      Delete
  4. I keep meaning to read My Cousin Rachel... think it will be my one and only choice for RIP this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be an excellent one. I just love Du Maurier. So involving and quick to read.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad to see you liked And Every Morning. I absolutely loved A Man Called Ove (4/4). But couldn't get through My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry (DNF at page 125). Morning looks like it's worth a read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally is, and it's a super fast read, too. I need one of those now and again to keep me going. I'm excited to try more of his stuff!

      Delete
  6. I loved The Fifth Season my Jemisin and meant to go back and read the earlier books. Loved BEARTOWN ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had such a hard time deciding whether to start with Broken Earth or the Inheritance Trilogy. Ultimately I think Amazon decided for me with a sale. I can see myself reading all of her work.

      Delete
  7. I've only read one of Backman's novels (A Man Called Ove, which I loved), but couldn't get interested in his others. Probably too much going on in my life to concentrate. This novella sounds wonderful, though. I'll have to see if my new library has a copy. Yay! A new library to explore! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a good place to go if you're not sure or if the ole attention span is droopy. It was perfect for me when I was feeling slumpy!

      Delete
  8. I hope you guys enjoy My Cousin Rachel. I loved that book. Oddly enough I'm curious about the film that's coming out soon. What a great reading month so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm racing through it! I need to slow down a bit, in fact. lol

      Delete
  9. And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer sounds worth checking out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of the books you've been reading sound great and I love how many different genres you're reading too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik