Tuesday, September 05, 2017

I Am IN the Books! (RIPXII Update 1)

RIPXII! All the books, y'all! This type of reading is scratching just the right itch for me, so I'm currently reading ALL the books.


I've had American Supernatural Tales, edited by S.T. Joshi, on my stacks for years. Admittedly, I bought it because I liked the cover the best from the Penguin Horror collection, and it's one of the books from that collection that I didn't already have. The book is ordered from the oldest stories to most recent, and I've found myself in the mood to read through this one in order (except Henry James...I always skip him). Right now I'm alllllmost halfway through, and I am about to start "The Call of Chthulhu" by H.P. Lovecraft. I've never read Lovecraft, so I'm looking forward to trying this one.

I mentioned on Twitter that I really wanted to try Tananarive Due for this year's RIP event, and someone mentioned Ghost Summer: Stories. It happened to be available on Scribd, so here we are. The stories are set in Gracetown, Florida, and I do love a collection tied together by location. The first story knocked me on my ass, so I'm definitely looking forward to more.

Last, but most certainly not least, I'm reading David Mitchell's Slade House for Peril of the Group Read. We could not have picked a better one for this Peril. The two audiobook readers are excellent, and the story sucked me in immediately. I've always been a little shy of reading Mitchell because I just assumed everything he wrote was super confusing (think Cloud Atlas) but I might be a new convert. I'm hoping I can get ahold of The Bone Clocks to listen to next.


What are you reading? 

21 comments:

  1. Yay! Have fun with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so, so good thus far! I'm soooo very much in the mood for this type of reading.

      Delete
  2. Care's Books and Pie and I hosted a readalong of Bone Clocks earlier this year. It was epic. His books aren't easy, but I loved Bone Clocks! Can't wait to start Slade House.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I bet it was epic! Slade House was so creepy and lovely and complicated. Great atmosphere! Can't wait to get my paws on Bone Clocks audio.

      Delete
  3. The first story is "The Lake," isn't it? Damn, I LOVED that story! I also really loved her book The Between, which I'm pretty sure I read for RIP last year.
    So happy that you and Heather have kept RIP alive...thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! OMGGGGGG, it was so so so stinking good! I'll definitely check out more of her work, and I'll put The Between at the tippy top of the list. We're tickled to take this event forward. We would miss it so much.

      Delete
  4. Okay, now you've almost convinced me to try Slade House on audio. I'll see if the library has it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, doooo ittttt! This is me enabling.

      Delete
  5. Woohoo!

    I wonder if I would have liked Slade House more if I had listened to it. It is a while back, now, but while I recall finding it interesting, it didn't knock me about in any way.

    I'm reading The Ballad of Black Tom for my first RIP book this year. Excellent so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read a lot of stuff from local authors from all kinds of genres. But right now I'm reading Daniel Silva's 17th Gabriel Allon, House of Spies. I still make sure never to miss some of the biggies (Coben, Archer, Follett).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looooove your TBR for RIP -- I really need to pull together some RIP-esque reads because it covers some of my favorite genres: gothic, haunted houses, ghost stories, chilly chills and creepy creeps. Also, I made my first booktube and it is super low-fi but whatever, I'm going to try not to stress! Thanks for inspiring me to stretch myself a little -- I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list! I'm excited to join in on RIPXII too, but I'm not sure what I'll be reading yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will think about joining in the group read. Not sure if I can make it but we'll see! Great selections for R.I.P.!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 2 great books! I finally decided on what to read ---- https://thefridayfriends.blogspot.com/2017/09/readers-imbibing-peril-update.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to discuss Slade House!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm reading Simon's latest: Gertie Milk and the Keeper of Lost Things. I think it's MG. It's the first in a series and it has a courageous heroine and a lot of wacky things are happening. I'm always so amazed at Simon's brain. Otherwise . . . all the travel left me slumpish so I opted to dig into a bunch of children's books when I got home: 4 board books and 3 picture books. Very helpful for slump-breaking. Oh, and I just finished a volume of poetry called Iowa by Lucas Hunt. Luc just happens to be Simon's best friend, so it's kind of cool to have gone from Luc to Simon in the same week! Glad you're enjoying your spooky reads!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love RIP though I've got no time for challenges & events right now! I saw on Rinn Reads a group read of Frankenstein, which would be such a good reread. I loved Slade House, that's a perfect Halloween read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Undoubtedly, the book is very exciting, so I can recommend everyone to read it. The http://essay-writing.company/ is very helpful service!

    ReplyDelete
  15. لدينا احدث المعدات العالميه لكشف التسربات بدقه عاليه ويرعه عاليه
    شركة كشف تسربات المياه بجازان
    شركتنا تعد ممن افضل الشركات في هذا المجال هو مجال التسليك
    شركة تسليك مجارى بجازان

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik