Friday, May 29, 2009

Reading In Order Challenge


Here it is! The official announcement of the Reading in Order Challenge. A few of you expressed interest in joining me when I mentioned this challenge before, so I threw together a button and we're off and running! Here's the poop on the challenge:

Goal: To read through one's stacks (a bookcase, several bookcases, the entire "to be read" pile, etc.) alphabetically.

The rules: Read alphabetically by author or book title. Make allowances as you see fit. Personally I will make allowances for library books, review books and non-fiction because my main goal is to read through my fiction stacks (graphic novels, children's/teen, and general fiction). See below:

  • I will allow myself to drop books if they're not kicking up my skirt, but I will progress to the next book in line by author name.
  • I will allow myself to veer off track when a review book or library hold comes calling or when I feel an overwhelming urge for a non-fiction break.
  • I will include all genres of fiction: general/literary fiction, children's and adolescent, and graphic novels.

I will be reading my stacks in a reverse alphabetical order beginning with Z and working to A. This is another one of those things that's personal choice. If you want to read through a genre alphabetically by author name or book title, that's fine. If you want to read through a specific bookcase alphabetically, that's fine. And so on and so forth. Tailor this challenge to your own needs and ambitions.

You will find the challenge blog at: http://readinginorder.blogspot.com. If you wish to join the challenge blog so you can post your own reviews, leave a comment here with your e-mail or e-mail me at andi (dot) miller (at) gmail (dot) com.

Good luck!

Note: This is an open-ended challenge. There are no time constraints.

11 comments:

  1. Sign me up! This sounds like a fun way to get through my shelves, which I need to do! I'm going to organize my shelves this weekend and figure this out! I'd love to get an invite to post on the site! Great Idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do absolutely love this idea, but I know I could never do it - I'm way too distractible. What a tidy mind you must have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe if I organize my main TBR bookshelf first I'll join you. But I think I am too easily distracted to have much success! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in too -
    http://lyndasbookblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/reading-in-order-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Kristina! Looking forward to having you.

    No problem, Jenny. I don't know for sure that it'll work for me either, but we'll see!

    No problem, Melanie. I hear ya, and we'll see if I can actually do it! Ha!

    Great to have you, Lynda!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this idea. Consider me joined up. I'll get organized and write a post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a fun one! Sometime this week I'm going to tidy up my bookshelves, put some order to it and depending on the A or Z title, I might just try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've inspired me! I'm not going to join up but i will work on reading the books i own. i'm cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to have you, Sandra! I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the books you undertake.

    Glad to hear it, Michelle!

    Thanks, Melanie! Down with the TBR piles!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool button for the challenge! I should totally do this as my shelves of unread books are bursting but I'm such a moody reader that I know there's no way I could do this one. Wishing you lots of luck working your way through the stacks :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Count me in! My books are not organized in any order where this is possible but I'm going to read all the picture books in my house! I think the hard part will be not buying any!

    First goal? gather them in one place. (that may take a couple of months right there!)

    please add me to the blog

    bookdragonslair at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!