Wednesday, January 13, 2010

French Milk, by Lucy Knisley


If the first couple of books of 2010 are any indication, this year will be a much better reading year, quality-wise, than 2009. I started with Keeping the Feast, by Paula Butturini (review coming January 18th), and my second book is French Milk, by Lucy Knisley.
I feel sort of silly reviewing French Milk since it feels like every other blogger has beaten me to the punch. Better late to the party than never to attend, though, so I might as well throw my opinion out there with the throng of others. In a word: CHARMING!
That's the best word I can think of to describe this little illustrated journal. Knisley travels to Paris with her mother, and they stay for over a month. They eat their way through the city, see wonderful museums, cute little corners. Knisley is quirky to say the least, and many of the things she said and drew reminded me of some of my more eclectic friends. She visits flea markets for some great finds, they patronize any number of cafes, and since they stay so long, they actually have an apartment and can cook their own meals on occasion.
This really is a book for a wide variety of readers. If you enjoy travel, food books, graphic novels, or memoirs in general, this one will probably strike your fancy. The illustrations are light and whimsical, which allows Knisley to slip even further into that "charming" nook. Reading this graphic novel was much like a leisurely walk through Paris with a friend, and it was a perfect way to start off 2010.
This one satisfies criteria for a number of challenges:
It's my first graphic novel for the 2010 Graphic Novels Challenge, it's my book with "food in the title" for What's in a Name 3, and it meets the Bad Bloggers criteria for the TwentyTen Challenge. I can't even remember the first blogger who made me take notice of French Milk, but Chris from Book-a-Rama is one of the folks who prompted me to pick it up now.

15 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked it. It really is Charming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great little book...but it is hard to write an depth review of it, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this book too, but have to tell you I never saw great, fresh milk when I was in France in the early 1990's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, amen to that!

    Jill, yes it is hard to write an in-depth review. It's charming! What else is there to say? Definitely not deep, but definitely fun.

    LOL, Kathy. Good to know. I won't be going for the milk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaah, now I want to get this :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard a lot about French Milk- some seem to like it more than others.

    I'm reading Keeping the Feast now. Glad to know you enjoyed it, from your comments! I'm only on chapter 2, but it's great so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read this. I might have to ILL it because my library doesn't have it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My reading year has so far been a bit mixed - I think I'm getting ready to declare one book my first DNF of the year! Ah well... Anyway, yes, I loved this book. It made my favorites list last year. I wonder if she has another book coming out soon. Must check on that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, it is charming! I've never been to Paris, but I thought if I did, I'd probably do all the same stuff Lucy Knisley did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy it when you get to it, Lightheaded!

    Aarti, I hope you love it as much as I did. I finally get to gush about it on Monday, and I can't wait!

    Kailana, I kept hoping my library would get it, but no dice. I was considering buying it myself when I won it from Nymeth's graphic novel mini-challenge at Read-a-thon time. I was soooo excited!

    Iliana, I was surfing her website a couple of days ago, and I think she's working on a new one, though no release info is available. I will definitely read whatever she puts out. Sorry your year isn't off to as good a start. Don't fear the DNFs though--better to clear them out and get on to the good stuff, right?

    Amen, Jenny! Me, too. And I'm a total foodie, so that was the best part of the whole thing for me. Chuck's comment was, "Uh, it's mostly about food." To which I responded, "Uh, yeah. That's why I want to read it so much!" lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read this, but it sounds so sweet! I am glad this year is off to a good start reading-wise. My 2010 reading is better as well. I am hoping to dive into some of it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really loved this one too. I though she was so honest about herself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why haven't I read this yet?! I'm glad you loved it - I think I will too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. it is hard to write an depth review of it, isn't it?

    lingerie parties

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love books about food and travel and memoirs are probably my favorite genre. Definitely going to add this to my list! Thanks, Andi.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!