Saturday, April 26, 2014

Dewey's Read-a-Thon, April 2014 Edition!

Wrap Up!

One more readathon down, and Heather and myself are still relatively sane! I think. I haven't talked to her this morning yet. 



  1. Which hour was most daunting for you? Hour 22. That's when I finally crashed due to no sleep the night before and a terrible headache. 
  2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? I didn't get to read much this time around, but I highly recommend Tender at the Bone by Ruth Reichl.
  3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? We're looking at the possibility of a Goodreads group. Definitely want to carry on the revamp we did for Cheerleading this year. Heather did an amazing job on that. 
  4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? The cheerleaders did a great job with what they had to work with. 
  5. How many books did you read? See above. 
  6. What were the names of the books you read? See above. 
  7. Which book did you enjoy most? Let's just skip all the actual book questions. 
  8. Which did you enjoy least? Womp, womp.
  9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? Not much! I think everyone did a great job with the new system.
  10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? I'll be here in October! Planning, planning, planning. 

Hour 12 Update!

Wow, I hadn't meant to go QUITE that long without updating! There have been lots of admin tasks to do, and I got sucked into several of those today. On the whole I'd say I've read for probably 2 hours. I've got 120 pages under my belt, I think.

I've also been on Twitter quite a lot, cheerleading, and I've been commenting on blogs as well. After I finish Tender at the Bone, by Ruth Reichl, I intend to read a graphic novel or a novella, and I'll cheer some more! 

In past years I flake out right around Hour 21, but this year I'm gonna try to go all the way! Here's a short recap in pictures so far. 


I had a pretty decent breakfast fuel-wise (not the healthiest). Then I more or less ate junk food for lunch. But we redeemed ourselves with some halfway-decent nachos for dinner with shredded chicken, corn, kidney beans, etc. Wish I had some spinach and tomatoes to throw on top! 

How's the read-a-thon going for you? 

Mid-Event Meme!
1. What are you reading right now? See above!
2. How many books have you read so far? Just the one. And it was started before the 'thon. 
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? Probably The House on the End of Hope Street  or Saga, volume 3
4. Did you have to make any special arrangements to free up your whole day? Greyson is with his dad, but that's pretty normal for us. David has done yard work and generally tried to let me read. 
5. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? Only administrative ones, and those come with the territory. 
6. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? THE NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS!
7. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Always percolating on that. 
8. What would you do differently, as a Reader or a Cheerleader, if you were to do this again next year? Nothing yet!
9. Are you getting tired yet? Little bit. I didn't sleep well last night, so there might be a power nap in my future. 
10. Do you have any tips for other Readers or Cheerleaders, something you think is working well for you that others may not have discovered? NA


Hour 1 Update!

We went early with the opening event meme this year, but I was busy with administrative stuff, so I"m on time but technically late with the questionnaire. 

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? DALLAS, TX y'all! If you've ever watched one of my YouTube videos you know that y'all is totally sincere. 

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? Probably The House at the End of Hope Street by Menna Van Praag. 


3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? Ummm, we're making a creamy taco chicken thing for dinner, so I'm pretty stoked about that! I also have leftover buttered popcorn Jelly Belly jellybeans in the house. 

4) Tell us a little something about yourself! I have been hosting the Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon with Heather for two years now! I also got married in March. 

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? We're doing plenty of things differently on the back-end of the readathon to make mine and Heather's lives easier! Hopefully it works! 




YOU GUYS!!! We're well over 600 readers! We might make it to 700! That's just incredible and insane! Heather and I have been hard at working organizing all the things, but now it's time to get down to business. I'll be doing the following on readathon day...

  • CHEERING! This is my main task for the day. 
  • Wrangling prizes behind the scenes and updating the prizes page!
  • Trying to read at least a couple of books.
  • Posting my WEDDING DRESS VIDEO CHEER!


    I'll post all of my updates here every few hours, so I hope you'll stop by and say 'ello! 

    61 comments:

    1. You have done an awesome job so far!! I can't wait to start reading tomorrow :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! I'm glad you jumped in and had fun!

        Delete
    2. Thanks for all of your hard work! Can't wait to see that video cheer. Happy Readathon!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're most welcome! We have a blast and love getting to see the community together. The video cheer was highly entertaining to my husband. I'm surprised he managed to NOT giggle through the whole thing.

        Delete
    3. Wow... so many readers! Congratulations on organizing such an event. Happy reading!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! It was absolutely NUTS! lol

        Delete
    4. Congrats to you and Heather for organizing another amazing read-a-thon, I can't wait to start!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you so much! I hope you had fun!

        Delete
    5. Thank you and Heather so much for all your hard work preparing for readathon! Happy Reading to you!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. We are glad to do it! We get just as excited as everyone else...if not more.

        Delete
    6. Thanks for hosting Andi! We all really appreciate all the work you and Heather put into this! See you around today! :)

      ReplyDelete
    7. I'm so glad to have found you all, though late (just yesterday) but I'm really looking forward to everything today. Thanks for all your hard work!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Better late than never! I'm glad you jumped in! :D

        Delete
    8. You're fantastic Andi! Really.

      ReplyDelete
    9. *starts driving over for creamy taco dinner thing* Happy readathon Andi!!! And thank you again for hosting!!! From the bottom of my heart!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It was yum! Chicken tenders or breasts, cream cheese, taco seasoning, corn, beans, salsa...crock it for 4-6 hours, and slap it on nachos. DONE! Thank you for continually being a part of it, Chris!

        Delete
    10. You and Heather are awesome powerhouses with this Readathon! Such a fantastic event. Enjoy your creamy tacos later and hope you get to read!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you Terri! I got to read a bit. Hopefully it jarred my reading mojo loose a bit.

        Delete
    11. The readathon is so very awesome! I wish I was participating this year, but unfortunately the only time I'll be around a computer is this morning. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hopefully you can join us in October, Trisha!

        Delete
    12. hummmmm, I had written this big long excited comment and then poof! it disappeared. . .aargh!

      Well, anyways, the gist of what I said is that the Readathon rocks, you rock, Heather rocks and be sure to take care of yourself today!

      btw, loved The House at the End of Hope Street - it wasn't a most favorite book of the year but it was sweet & lighthearted enough - hope you enjoy!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh no! I hate it when Blogger eats comments! I never got around to Hope Street yesterday, unfortunately, but I'm hoping to tackle it in a day or two!

        Delete
    13. I think you've got a *lot!* of creativity! I'm coming back for more videos!!

      ReplyDelete
    14. You go girl!! And Hope Street is a pretty good read, but you sound like you are going to be too busy to really settle down and read. Good luck!
      Tanya at Team Butler!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I got Tender at the Bone finished, but I'm still really looking forward to Hope Street! Thanks, Tanya!

        Delete
    15. Go Andi Go! I'm so delighted with how many people are participating this year. Sadly I'm not, I only realized this morning that I would be able to! a birthday on Monday that I thought I would have to be shopping for today....I will join next time. Meanwhile, I can cheer people on, so I hope you have a wonderful readathon and get some good books read!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Me too, Susan! It was CRAZY how many people jumped onboard. We'll see you in October, I hope!

        Delete
    16. Have a wonderful Readathon day and enjoy the fruits of all the work you put into planning! I'm thinking of all the readathoners and feeling a wee bit jealous! :)

      ReplyDelete
    17. I love that picture! Only hardcore readers will take a picture of themselves grinning with books in their hands. Well books make you grin! :-) Happy reading!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. LOL, that's so true! The lady in the office next to mine at work took it. I think she thought I was nuts, but she still did it! lol

        Delete
    18. Andi, darling, I'm so glad you and Heather wrangle this beast! What an undertaking! You are both super fabulous. Here's hoping you have a GREAT Readathon... And with that creamy taco chicken, with God as my witness, you'll never go hungry again! (Scarlett voice. Had to. XOXO)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. An undertaking indeed! And it just keeps growing! Whew! LOL, love your Scarlett voice!

        Delete
    19. Beautiful photo! I love your beautiful face with all those beautiful books. But, I don't know how you have time to read with all the work! I wish I could participate.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Aww, thank you, Heidi! I didn't get to read as much as I wanted yesterday, but hopefully it's jumpstarted my reading mojo a bit.

        Delete
    20. You're doing an awesome job so far, so keep going :)

      ReplyDelete
    21. I'm sorry all your admin duties are keeping you away from books. Enjoy when you can, and thanks for an awesome job well done!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. No problem, Karsyn! It comes with the territory. :D

        Delete
    22. I can't believe how much reading you are getting done considering all else you are doing! You are a most awesome woman. Thank you so much for all of the passion you have thrown at this event. You and Heather are amazing :)

      ReplyDelete
    23. Well done! Such a busy lady. So is Dallas like the TV show? ;)

      Happy Reading!!

      Jill from Team Butler

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hahaha! Sometimes Dallas is like the TV show!

        Delete
    24. Ha - that picture of you fanning all those books is just classic! Enjoy!

      ReplyDelete
    25. Hi Andi, thanks for all your hard work bringing this event to reality! It's been a pleasure to participate for the first time and I know it's only possible because of the hard work of you and others behind the scenes. Thank you again and best of luck with your reading as well!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks for being a part of the Readathon, Jen!

        Delete
    26. There should be a special badge for people who make it the full 24 hours! If you do it I will make you one. :) Good luck, hope to see more updates from you later tonight!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Love it! I think we might make that happen in October.

        Delete
    27. Another great Read-a-Thon, Andi! I made it halfway through hour 21 :) I agree with Tasha, a special badge for those who made it the whole 24 would be fun. I'd work for that, LOL.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you, Stacy! I crashed right around the same time you did. lol I like that badge idea!

        Delete
    28. I'm shocked you got to read at all! Love that little doggie up there all crashed out - ha! I'm guessing that it was worth the exhaustion and headache though to see all the fun that people were having. Dewey would be so happy to see this and to see the way the book community on all the different social media sites are finding each other through this event. You do an AMAZING job at carrying on in the spirit of Dewey. <3

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Me too! I feel like that pup still. hehe I think Dewey would be thrilled, too. And maybe a little taken aback. :)

        Delete
    29. Thanks for taking the time out to host the readathon again!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Always our pleasure, Natasha!

        Delete
    30. I sit back and watch you do it and I STILL don't know how you do it. Amazing.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're too kind, Heatheroo. I'm tired. lol

        Delete
    31. I've been lurking on everyone's readathon wrapup posts. I'm really looking forward to participating next year. I'm sorry you didn't get much read but I have to agree that Tender at the Bone is excellent! It's one of my absolute favorites. I didn't enjoy the 2nd one quite as much but #3 is great too. Great job getting this all organized!

      ReplyDelete
    32. Searching for the Ultimate Dating Site? Create an account and find your perfect date.

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

     
    Images by Freepik