Thursday, November 06, 2014

Get Your Rat Queens and Sex Criminals!

Ever since I started writing for Panels, my interest in comics has only grown to new and overwhelming heights. Part of it is this feature, What's On Your Pull List? Talk about enabling! 

The interlibrary loan department at the university where I work is used to seeing crazy numbers of requests from me these days. Recently, I went on a binge and requested eight trades in a day. Rat Queens: Sass and Sorcery (vol. 1) and Sex Criminals: One Weird Trick (volume 1) were the first to arrive and the bender kept right on rolling into the weekend as I sucked these down right quick. 

Who are the Rat Queens? A pack of booze-guzzling, death-dealing battle maidens-for-hire, and they're in the business of killing all god's creatures for profit. It's also a darkly comedic sass-and-sorcery series starring Hannah the Rockabilly Elven Mage, Violet the Hipster Dwarven Fighter, Dee the Atheist Human Cleric and Betty the Hippy Smidgen Thief. This modern spin on an old school genre is a violent monster-killing epic that is like Buffy meets Tank Girl in a Lord of the Rings world on crack! 

Seriously, this series by Kurtis J. Wiebe, Roc Upchurch, et al is off the hook. Swords and sorcery may not be your thing, but these ladies are just so hilarious and likable from their boozing to their love lives and crazy outfits. If you're a fan of Lumberjanes, I urge you to try out Rat Queens because it's female camaraderie that's just as much fun and as over-the-top as Lumberjanes, but scads more provocative. 

Then there's Sex Criminals. You might as well get yourself prepared for plenty of crass humor and dirty talk, but it's also a clever comic. 

Suzie’s just a regular gal with an irregular gift: when she has sex, she stops time. One day she meets Jon and it turns out he has the same ability. And sooner or later they get around to using their gifts to do what we’d ALL do: rob a couple of banks. A bawdy and brazen sex comedy for comics begins here!

Besides the plot, the marriage of story and illustrations here is pretty stunning. The whole thing has a 70s psychedelic feel to it, reminding us of that free love period with a new twist. There are actual, bonafide sex police in this book! It makes me think between the art and the plot and the good guys vs. the bad guys that we might have a nice examination of sex ideals of that bygone era with the wave of sex shaming we've seen in more recent decades. I can't wait to read more and see where Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky are going with it. 

Rat Queens: Sass and Sorcery
Pub. Date: April 2014
Publisher: Image Comics
Format: Trade

ISBN: 9781607069454
Source: Library

Sex Criminals: One Weird Trick
Pub. Date: April 2014
Publisher: Image Comics 
Format: Trade 
ISBN: 9781607069461
Source: Library


11 comments:

  1. Well, you got me with rats. Then you made me do a doubletake with the sex criminals hahaha ... interesting books you have here Andi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom would blush if she knew I was reading these. LOL There's no leaving them on the coffee table for the pre-schooler to grab, for sure.

      Delete
  2. Too fun. I was going to say that Rat Queens sounds a wee bit more fun, but then you busted out with Sex Criminals having a 70s psychedelic feel.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sex Criminals is pretty darn fun, but Rat Queens is more goofy. lol

      Delete
  3. I like me some dirty talk ;)

    I keep hearing more and more about Rat Queens and I know I'm going to have to take the plunge one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You definitely should. So fun!

      Delete
  4. I read the first issue of Sex Criminals, but I don't think single issues (of anything) are enough to get me hooked. I need more story and development to really feel invested. I want to try reading trades, though; I think they would work a lot better for my reading style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Single issues are so much harder to get hooked on. It has happened for me, especially with Ms. Marvel and Batgirl, but in general, not so much. Definitely try out the first volume if you can get ahold of it. I think it's got six issues included.

      Delete
  5. I saw this review and Library Hungry's for Rat Queens and immediately put the book on hold - sounds fantstic!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo!!! Come on over to the Rat Queens side. :)

      Delete
  6. I've really been enjoying Sex Criminals, and I've put the trade paperback on my Christmas list. But everyone who receives the list is ordered not to tell my dear sweet uncle about that one item. I don't think he can handle it. He will have to get a censored version of the list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik