Essentially, I like to set up a "tasting menu." A selection of books from a variety of genres that might cover a variety of moods. I read 5-10 pages of each and see what "sticks."
Here are the books on today's tasting menu...
- The Red Notebook, by Antoine Laurain, an international author I haven't read yet
- Giovanni's Room, by James Baldwin, which I started last weekend and like but haven't made much headway because I was finishing Hausfrau.
- Landline, by Rainbow Rowell, because she always seems to be a good idea when I'm slumpy.
- Out From Boneville, by Jeff Smith, because it's just stupid that I haven't read this series yet.
- Belzhar, by Meg Wolitzer, because I love Wolitzer, this looks like a quick read, and lots of bloggers I trust really loved it.
- Above Us Only Sky, by Michele Young-Stone, because it's pretty.
If I was a betting woman, I'd say I'll read Out From Boneville in one gulp today for #flashreadathon, and then I'll probably read a few pages of all of these and circle back to Giovanni's Room. That's my prediction. We'll see how it pans out!
If you haven't jumped in on the #flashreadathon on Twitter, there's still time!
|Join the Facebook group!|