Monday, June 29, 2009

Second Chance Time?

I'm always torn when it comes to giving a not-so-favorite author a second shot at my bookish heart. I am perhaps the only person who read and loathed Living Dead Girl, by Elizabeth Scott. Much like the time I read and hated The Lovely Bones when everyone else seemed to adore it. But back to my point. In short, I thought Living Dead Girl was sensational, ooky, and depended too much on the shock factor instead of focusing on quality, nuance, etc. etc. All those flippy, fluffy lit words that can't really express what I want to say. If I'm putting it bluntly, I just think she could've done SO MUCH BETTER with that book, but if you're interested you can read my bloodbath of a review here.

I received a couple of Scott's other novels, Stealing Heaven and Love You Hate You Miss You, last week, and now I'm torn about whether to give them a go or not. Despite my dislike of Living Dead Girl, I realize Scott is a talented one. Her book was affecting even if I thought it was overrated and gross. I mean, really, there has to be *something* there if it illicited such a reaction. I'm woman enough to admit it.

Neither of these new-to-me novels looks terribly shocking or controversial, and as I've said here before, I'm not anti-controversy. I love controversy, in fact. So, yeah. Depending on too much shock is not good, but neither is blandness. They might be the opposite of gross and be bland! Dear God, the HORROR!

Or maybe I'm worrying too much and should jump in headfirst and report back.

Yes, yes. That's it.

Reading Update: I stalled on my copy of We when we overhauled our office space recently. Now I've misplaced the damn thing. Wish me luck finding it. In the meantime I've started Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Angel's Game for my next Reading in Order book. We'll see how it shakes out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik