Wednesday, January 23, 2013

In Which I Trounce GONE GIRL!


OK, so there's backstory here. My book club (with Trish!) read this book a few months ago. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to finish the book by the time the group met. BUT I attended anyway. Mistake! While the whole book wasn't ruined for me, I learned a lot about the plot.

The twists are far less twisty when you already know in detail how absolutely frackin' psycho Nick and Amy Dunne are!

But everyone kept talking about the ending. The sometimes-labeled-as-unsatisfactory ending. I like twisty. I like ambiguous. I didn't think I'd have a problem with it.

Verdict: The ending sent me into a cursing rage.


Anyway, Nick and Amy Dunne look perfect. Amy disappears on their 5th wedding anniversary. Nick looks totally guilty as portrayed by the media and Amy's diary. Yadda yadda. Not everything is as it seems. REALLY not what it seems.

All that would've been fine if it wasn't such a slog. I found both Nick and Amy so repulsively ooky and crackpotty that I had a hard time enjoying the book. While I don't like my characters syrupy sweet and doing nothing, I like to be able to root for someone. AT SOME POINT! But I wanted both of these characters to go up in flames. A lot. And then it ended. And I wanted to strangle them. And the book. And throw it under a garbage truck. And take a shower.


Snuggle -- Skewer (Impale, more like.)

Pub. Date: June 2012
Publisher: Crown
Format: E-book
ISBN-13: 9780307588364
Source: Paid for and downloaded by moi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik