Thursday, December 18, 2014

#AMonthofFaves: 5 Must-Haves for Winter Survival (Bookish or Not)!

Check out the schedule HERE!
Today we're linking up over at Traveling with T!

Ohhhh y'all! Today's post is about my winter survival must-haves. I'm playing fast and loose with "winter survival" since Texas usually has fairly mild winters. This year seems to be on the colder, drizzlier side already, though, so I've been exploring some more things to keep my bone-dry skin moisturized and glowing as well as plenty of other fun stuff.

I've been on a makeup kick, fueled at least in part by beauty YouTubers. I have a whole post coming up on beauty channels for grown-ass women, so watch for that! In the meantime, I find it VERY hard to commit to high-end beauty products. I love to browse in Ulta and Sephora, but actually dropping $40+ for a product almost makes me break into hives. I want to use products that really work, but who wouldn't prefer a drugstore duplicate, right?


I recently picked up a super tiny bottle of the Benefit POREfessional priming balm. I've seen this primer all over the YouTubes, and I've never really used a primer, but I've noticed lately, with a switch to a long-wear foundation (that I love), that my pores look GINORMOUS around my nose and cheeks. Since the .25 ounce POREfessional is only $10, I wasn't so nutty about trying it out. And you know what?  I LOVE IT!

It has an incredibly silky feel, and I can tell when I put it in my t-zone that it really smooths out the pores and other craggy bits around my nose and eyes. It's also really hydrating, so it keeps my foundation from drying out and looking flaky later in the day.

I have watched several videos that say Maybelline Baby Skin primer does almost as good a job. It's only $5.99 for a full-size bottle, as opposed to Benefit's $31 for a full-size. I will definitely give it a go before I commit to a full-sized POREfessional. 


Also on the cosmetic front, I'm loving Maybelline Color Tattoo 24 Hour cream shadow in "Barely Branded." I received this from an awesome secret Santa, and I can't get enough of it. While my skin is super dry, my eyelids are the only oily part of my body. They seriously eat the eyeshadow I use on my lids, so this 24 hour formula is THE BOMB. It is still totally on at night when I get home from work, and it takes a little scrubbing to get it off! I also love this shade because it's shiny but still subtle, and it's totally work appropriate. 
This may be a weird pick, but it's one of my new favorite things. This is the Emergen-C Immune+ Warmer in Apple Cider. I run an 8oz cup of hot water from my Keurig, add this baby, and I have hot apple cider with some health benefits! You may remember that I'm super anemic and consistently trying to "catch up" my iron count, and since vitamin C helps iron absorb, this is a perfect afternoon drink for me. 

This one is from Kohl's...just as an example!

I have the most awesome winter coat, and it was a totally freak accident purchase. I was jacketless one day, didn't really have a good lined coat waiting for me at home, and I popped into Walmart and snapped up a navy blue windbreaker (water resistant) that happens to be lined with fleecy, furry stuff. It's not full on long-haired, matted fur, but it is a synthetic short-haired soft bundle of warmth. Hood, nicely fitted, heavy-duty. I cannot believe it's turned out to be one of my faves, but diamonds in the rough do happen! 


Last but certainly not least are my fleece-lined Roxy slip-on sneakers! These are great for running errands or even for casual Friday at work. I picked them up at T.J.Maxx because I needed a substantially warmer pair of casual shoes. I tend to wear a lot of ballet flats, and those B's are COLD! These are still light and easy, with a subtle black and gray plaid pattern, but they definitely keep out the cold...even without socks. 

What can you not live without this winter! Bookish or otherwise!






22 comments:

  1. OMG, I love your shoes but I won't be able to use them outside! I could have them for when I change out of my boots, hmmm.
    I keep seeing recs for Benefit products but I have never tried them myself, maybe I will in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I realize most of the world can't wear shoes like this in winter. We're pretty lucky here in Texas. We only usually get snow or ice once or twice per year. We'll see how this year shakes out!

      Delete
  2. Love the sneakers. I can't live without my lip balms and am currently in love with EOS vanilla-mint lip balm = amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've recently gotten EOS sweet mint, and it's divine!

      Delete
  3. Like I said at T., if I had listed all the stuff I need to go out, one might think I'm living at the North Pole ;)

    Your hot drink seems absolutely not natural (as a vegan I'm scared when I see this in general ;) but the design is so well-done that I can't help but thinking: I need it!

    I love my coat too. I couldn't imagine living w/o it in Winter (and hats, and scarves, and mittens, and... You got it ;)

    One thing that helps me surviving germs is Grapefruit Seed Extract. I hate the taste because I don't like grapefruit but it's so effective that I take it religiously during cures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MMmmm, you're probably right about it not being vegan. But it certainly helps my body soak up more iron, so I'm thankful for that!

      I'm a huge scarf fan, and my collection continues to increase. Hats, not so much. They murder my hair.

      Good to know about the grapefruit seed extract!

      Delete
  4. I want to check out that Benefit/Maybelline primer (probs Maybelline first, as you mentioned, given the price difference...).

    My winter must-have is my Bean boots. I basically spend summer counting down the days until it will be cold enough to wear them again without looking a fool, because they are comfortable and go with everything (in that they go with nothing, so who cares?) and waterproof and warm and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely try the Baby Skin first, and if you don't like it, the POREfessional is the bomb. The Baby Skin has a lot to live up to for me!

      I SOOOO want some Bean boots, though in truth I don't need them in Texas. Of course, that doesn't mean I don't WANT them. lol

      Delete
  5. Those slip-ons!! Love that idea. I finally caved and got a new pair of winter shoes but no fleece lining and definitely can't wear without socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lovely! What kind o'shoes did you get? I'm sure they're fab.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I loooooooove them! T.J. Maxx is the best (sometimes). lol

      Delete
  7. Okay, I totally need that eyeshadow. Back when I lived at home with my parents (aka rolling in cash), I was in love with Smashbox's Photo Finish primer. I totally can't afford close to $40 a pop for that business now, but the E.L.F. Mineral Infused Primer is reallllllly close and like 6 bucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. E.L.F. has some GREAT stuff! I'm using their finishing spray right now (also $3), and it's just as good as Urban Decay's All Nighter spray. I looooove a drug store dupe!

      Delete
  8. You probably know I am a make-up junkie, and I have found that many "lesser" brands are actually better than the department store...give me a Revlon lipstick any day. Love the Maybelline shadow you pictured here. And, anything to prevent us from getting sick sounds fabulous! Although I have built strong immunities from the who-knows-what-covered fingers I sometimes see touching papers...ew. Bellezza (dolcebellezza.net)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ma'am! I'm all about drugstore. There are few products I prefer high-end. For example, I've been having TERRIBLE eye irritation, and I thought it was just an allergy thing. I started wondering if it might have something to do with my mascara, and so I tried Tarte's Lights, Camera, Lashes mascara since I had a sample. Voila! No more irritated eyes. The only thing I can figure is that Tarte claims to use more natural, gentle products? I dunno. We'll see if I stay un-irritated.

      Delete
  9. I'll have to try that Emergen-C.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I JUST tried Porefessional at Sephora because I'd read about it but I'm not sure what it's supposed to do! I have the same issue with pores when I use my BB so if I use this first will it make my skin look better? Or can you use it alone? Help!

    Can't believe I'm being a make-up drama queen on a book blog but this shit is important!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to try that Maybelline Color Tattoo eyeshadows. I have oily eyelids too and that's one of the reasons why I don't wear eyeshadow. Had that terrible smudged crease at the end of the day! I also don't use primer, we don't have Benefit here anymore (used to) but I'll see if I can try out the babyskin option.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need that eyeshadow! I have a love/hate relationship with beauty blogs because they make me want to buy crazy expensive makeup. (And really, I don't need an Urban Decay Naked palette when I would probably only use 2 colors.) The only thing I really splurge on is foundation. I have NEVER been able to find a drugstore foundation that works well with my skin, so I had the Sephora people help me find the perfect match. It's Dior BB Cream, and I nearly fainted at the price, but it's seriously amazing. I don't think I can go back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The makeup, the makeup, the makeup! I want that eyeshadow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I cannot ever live without my warm winter coat in winter. Our winter this year has been chilly and wet and awful but without actually getting that low in temperature, so I haven't had much occasion to use my proper winter coat. But I am waiting! It's so warm it's like being inside a toaster; I got it when I was living in a place with an actually cold climate (England).

    SO feel you about the makeups. Whenever I go to Sephora I want to cry about how expensive everything is. I'm just about out of foundation & dreading having to buy more.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik