Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Favorite Non-Glamorous (Necessary) Skin Products!

Note: I'm not in bed with any of these products. Well, I am LITERALLY in bed with some of them when I wear them at night, but this is not a sponsored post in any way. My thoughts, my money, my wintery issues.  

Howdy, y'all! I'm coming to you from Texas where it SNOWED THIS WEEK. #crazytalk

I've been so busy with paper grading, everyday work, holiday stuff (and maybe watching Downton Abbey), that I haven't been reading much. I sort of feel like I'm just existing at the moment. Putting out one proverbial fire at a time.

We've been experiencing super-cold-for-us weather here in Texas, and it's hit WAY earlier this year than usual, so I've been having some regular ole this-happens-every-year problems earlier than usual. And that got me thinking about everyday products. Things that make our lives a little better, easier, and more comfortable, but they're not nearly as much fun as more glamorous products. No eyeshadows and lip colors here, folks...let's talk about other stuff I have to have.

My hands crack like a field worker's. As soon as the weather cools down, and I keep washing my hands like the germaphobe freak that I am, little fissures start forming at the edges of my fingernails, and sometimes--like now--right down the middle of my thumbs. These are like gaping, angry paper cuts and all the pain, irritation and annoyance that comes with 'em.

David threatened to buy me a tub of Udder Butter (yes, it was once used on cows' teats, apparently), but he found O'Keeffe's Working Hands instead. This is a rich hand cream you can pick up very inexpensively at your local drug store or big box store. I tend to use it at night before I go to sleep because it does leave a bit of a residue on the hands. It works, though! Stops those cracks in their tracks.

During my waking hours, I use Eucerin on my dry skin. I have eczema, you see, and while it's not nearly as bad as others I've known, it makes for dry, cracked, scaly skin on parts of my legs. I grew up using Lubriderm, because it's what my doctor recommended, but I find that Eucerin works even better for me. Beware the type for super ultra dry skin, with the greenish top. It smells like moldy feet. The regular white bottles are great and don't smell like anything appalling. Beware putting this on irritated, inflamed skin. Burns like a mo'.

So I mentioned the cracked, bleeding, awful fingers earlier in this post. If I don't moisturize enough and somehow there's a breach in the Working Hands and Eucerin, I depend on liquid bandage. I actually buy the generic brand from a local grocery store...usually on the way to work when I'm out of it and need some to carry around in my purse. This puts a clear, antiseptic layer of relief over the finger cracks. It stings for a few seconds, but it's so worth it...especially when the cut or crack is in an inconvenient spot like the edge of a fingernail or top of the thumb where it's hard to position a bandaid.

Finally, a lip product because chapping. My lips literally get flaky and craggy and kissing me can't be fun. I recently found Mongongo lip balm in an Ipsy bag, and I am in hardcore lip-balm LOVE. This stuff smells heavenly (Mandarin Green Orange Ginger, infused with lime oil and ginger). It is so smooth and hydrating, if I have chapped lips and put this on, I actually sigh with relief. And did I mention how good it smells? Amazing!

Which products do you swear by in the fall and winter? I neeeed to know. 





23 comments:

  1. Oh I keep thinking of trying O'Keefe's products for my hands and feet, but I was always doubting if it actually works. Have you tried the one for the feet? is it good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does seem to help! Being consistent with it is my problem. I haven't used the foot products yet, but a Twitter buddy said they do work. I neeeeed something for my feet, too.

      Delete
  2. I NEED to find something new for my chapped lips. I used to swear by Carmex, but I started having an aversion to the smell of it, so I need something new this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use cacao butter, it works wonders for me

      Delete
  3. I can't live without lip balm. I love plain old ChapStick, but Blistex will do in a pinch. I can't deal with anything scented or flavored, for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought Aveeno Baby Daily Lotion when David was a little guy and now I keep it on my desk for me! May we all have uncracked hands and lips this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always forget about lip-balm, I really need to pick some up. I have roseacia on my forehead so I need very gentle skincare, I find that cetaphil cleanser & moisturiser is the best for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For winter, I add coconut oil (virgin, cold pressed) to everything. After I lotion, I rub it on me, on my face after moisturizer and on my lips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use the heavy duty Neutragena for dry hands or similar. I've been using regular Jergen's lotion on my body for years...but might need to upgrade.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have SEVERAL products that I swear by even though we don't get all that cold here.

    Trader Joe's Coconut Body butter. It's like rubbing icing on yourself. It smells like true coconut and not like the fake stuff. It's super cheap, too. I use it as a body butter but I use it on hands too.

    My other body butter must have is Body Shop Satsuma...the richness can fix many a dry heel but the smell! Reminds me that trees will be blooming soon.

    Lip balms, most of them do not work for me. They sink in and do not coat so Chapstick Moisture is the best for me as is Carmex, Not that glamorous.

    Face cream, and it's not meant to be a face cream, Lush's Charity Pot. Good lord. It does wonders for my face and the tiny tub is only $5.

    At night, Bath and Body Works Aromatherapy Lavender and Vanilla body cream. TO DIE FOR.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I swear by Healthy Feet so I'm sure Working Hands is great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my word, I need to stock up on some of that liquid bandage stuff for the hubs. Despite the Working Hands and Neutrogena and lord knows what else, his hands still crack in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bless you all for these recommendations! Winter in Montana is THE WORST for my dry skin. Oy. I will have to try all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hand cracking and feet cracking is hell. I love Zim's crack creme. I swear it works! Kiehl's Hand Cream works great too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The drying my hands are taking at the university makes me want to try this stuff out. I put on lotion all day long, but still get cracks and chappings from the way the paper drys me out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. coconut oil coconut oil coconut oil....I use it for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We're an eczema family (mine is especially bad, I have to use Protopic to knock out some flareups). I want to try the Working Hands stuff! Is it pretty thick? (I like a thicker cream)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a cocoa butter gal! I live for that stuff all year round, and it's the only thing I've found to help with the winter itches. I even use it on my hands and will put on a pair of cotton gloves while I sleep if my hands are terrible. For my lips, I love the original Burt's Bees. It's funny what we love!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I googled O'Keeffe's Working Hands and see that I can buy it at Home Depot. Sold!! Our dry/cold winters are terrible on my hands. Like you, my skin cracks right around the nail and man, oh man, does it hurt. Working in a bookstore is really tough in the winter. Dry paper, dry air, constant handwashing to stay healthy... I'm heading to Home Depot this weekend. Thanks for the rec, Andi. Oh, and for my chapped lips, I love Burt's Bees. I have at least a dozen scattered about the house & in my car. Hate to be without lip balm!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I use Dermalogica's different products for sensitive skin/redness, especially the cleanser because it's the only cleanser that doesn't make my face burn. Other than that, the only other products I use specifically during the winter are Burt's Bees Almond Milk hand creme at night (it's too thick for during the day), Theraplex FT (for my feet at night. It's insanely thick and smells a little bit medicinal but it works. I usually put on a pair of socks after applying) and Yu-Be moisturizing skin creme (it absorbs very quickly, isn't greasy, and can be applied pretty much everywhere). I've discovered all of these over the years that I was in the Army and living in widely varying climates.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been wondering about the O'Keefe's one and now I'm thinking I should give it a go. I love when you post about beauty items - they are always such fun and informative posts - thanks!! Especially as I have severely dry skin that seems to always crack and bleed during winter - ugh!! I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. O'Keefe's makes an excellent product for feet, too. I've got all these other products I use when I run out but it's just not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You could literally be writing this post about me. The dry cracked hands, the over-washing of hands, guilty! I just bought O'Keeffe's Working Hands last week and so far I've loved it. I also use Eucerin constantly. I use Burt's Bees chapstick for my lips, but I may have to try your recommendation!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik