Thursday, December 29, 2016

#AMonthofFaves2016: Badass Books I Loved in 2016

Today's #AMonthofFaves prompt:
#AMonthofFaves {The Reading Year} - reading stats etc. / Top 10 Books that Blew My Mind in 2016

When I think back on the year, it doesn't stand out as a great reading year. However, like so many things tainted with negativity, that negativity can seep in and take over, blotting out the good stuff. Such was the case as I looked back over my books read in 2016. There was never any way of narrowing it down to 10 overall favorites, so here we have my badass 2016 reading by category.

Voila! Thank you, 2016, for not sucking completely.

Visit GirlXOXO.com and TravelingWithT.com for my cohosts' faves! <3 nbsp="" p="">

Badass Fiction

Mr. Splitfoot by Samantha Hunt for beautiful atmosphere and endearing characters.
The Unfinished World: Stories by Amber Sparks for gorgeous weirdness.
The Woman Upstairs by Claire Messud for its rage.
The Regional Office is Under Attack! by Manuel Gonzales for women kicking ass.
13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl by Mona Awad for nuance and a sense of the familiar.
Running the Rift by Naomi Benaron for brutal honesty and truly memorable characters.
The Book of Unknown Americans by Christina Henriquez for inciting empathy. I want to give this to EVERYONE.
I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett for practical magic and a heroine I want to be.

Badass Comics and Graphic Novels 

Aya by Marguerite Abouet and Clement Oubrerie for charm and wit and a look at Africa that avoids stereotypes.
Something New by Lucy Knisley for taking the topic of marriage, weddings, and DIY and expanding it to something so quirky, and charming, and meaningful. For tackling the big topics along with the obvious ones.
Captain Marvel Volume 1: Higher, Further, Faster, More by Kelly Sue DeConnick and David Lopez for a badass superhero with a sense of humor.

Badass Non-Fiction

Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin for surprising me and pissing me off.
Running Like a Girl by Alexandra Heminsley for helping me believe I could run.
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling for making me laugh, making me love and admire Kaling even more.
When Women Were Birds by Terry Tempest Williams for a close look at silence and an examination of voice that I really needed to read.

The Badass Classic

The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham for making me cry despite its problems.


Badass YA

Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson for being a book I wanted to hug.
Gabi, a Girl in Pieces by Isabel Quintero for an outspoken, fierce heroine....even though she doubted herself.
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo for grabbing me immediately. And the Darkling.

And the inevitable problem of making these lists before the end of the year: I'm still reading. In fact, I'm in the middle of Just Mercy by Bryan Stephenson and Terry Pratchett's final book, The Shepherd's Crown. There's a high probability that both of those books belong on this list.

What were your faves?


15 comments:

  1. I've started compiling my list of favorites and noticed most of them are from the first half of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a better run in the middle of the year than I'd initially remembered. Can't wait to see your list!

      Delete
  2. I read much more than I blogged, and I've began looking at my best of list. Hoping for a return to the writing life, I've really missed it. I don't think I read any of your books....so the must be corrected!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed you, lady! I haven't been great about reading blogs myself, but I do pop into yours to see what you're up to!

      Delete
  3. I think I should read The Woman Upstairs - I've been seeing some good quotes from it. Glad you have some shining spots despite a down year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! I would loooooove to know your thoughts on The Woman Upstairs. It came to me when I was looking for ragey books, and it lives up. It's a quick read, too.

      Delete
  4. Aya is so fun. I like the focus on badassery. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Akilah! I need to read more Aya. Of course, my library doesn't have them, SO I GUESS I'LL HAVE TO PURCHASE! Awww! lol

      Delete
  5. I remember reading the first page of The Woman Upstairs and just going "DAMN, there is going to be some anger in this thing." It was so good (minus a few picky little flaws I of course harped on).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT??? Those first 15 pages or so were knock-ya-flat angry, and the ending was, too. I was a little disappointed, at first, in the middle portion, but it all really came together for me! Glad you enjoyed it overall, Christine!

      Delete
  6. The Woman Upstairs and Gabi, A Girl in Pieces are both fabulous reads. I read Gabi this year and it's going on my favorites list for sure. Take note of some of the others you've mentioned that I must check out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love end of year lists! Finding out which books really stood above the others helps me narrow down what should be on my TBR and find things I missed during the year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohmigosh, I love how quippy (not a word) you are on your reasons that books make this list. "For its rage" might be my favorite :-D

    And YES to Angela Y. Davis together in 2017! Which book did you find on Scribd? I think I can get any of them from the library, might just have a wait.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik